Colorado Lottery: Winner sues Colorado Lottery 12 years after rigged drawing
IOWA CITY, Iowa — A decade after Colorado engineer Amir Massihzadeh hit the lottery, two state brokers visited him with surprising information: He was once most likely the one professional winner of a $four.eight million jackpot he’d needed to break up 3 ways.
They instructed the Boulder resident that the opposite two individuals who had gained the 2005 drawing had been connected to a conspiracy through which a lottery insider and a number of other cohorts had rigged drawings in numerous states. Now Massihzadeh, 62, is suing for the remainder of the winnings that he feels must had been his.
Massihzadeh filed a lawsuit Thursday towards the Colorado State Lottery, arguing he must be declared the only winner and that the $800,00zero money prize he opted to obtain must had been tripled. Accounting for 12 years of pastime, he is looking for about $four million from the lottery for what he calls a breach of contract.
It’s the newest headache for state lotteries brought about via former Multi-State Lottery Association data safety director Eddie Tipton, who admitted to manipulating the instrument they used in order that he may are expecting successful numbers on sure days of the 12 months. Tipton, his brother, and a chum had been not too long ago sentenced for conspiring to make use of this insider wisdom to shop for successful tickets and accumulate prizes between 2005 and 2011. They mounted jackpots that paid $2.61 million to them and their mates in 4 states, and their scheme unraveled after Eddie Tipton was once stuck purchasing the successful price ticket for a $14 million Iowa jackpot that was once by no means paid.
Massihzadeh, who won $568,900 after taxes, argues that he is entitled to the opposite two-thirds of the prize for the reason that different tickets had been bought via Tipton’s conspiracy and must be invalid.
“Even though the Tiptons have agreed to repay the money they received from the Lottery, the Lottery has refused to honor its obligation to Mr. Massihzadeh,” his lawsuit says.
Colorado lottery spokeswoman Kelly Tabor declined to remark at the lawsuit, which is the 3rd to say gamers had been cheated via Tipton’s scheme.
Hundreds of 1000’s of people that purchased tickets on dates through which Tipton may are expecting successful numbers are pursuing a class-action lawsuit looking for refunds, arguing the ones drawings were not actually random. A person who gained a 2011 jackpot could also be suing the Iowa Lottery, pronouncing his prize must be better for the reason that $14 million jackpot must have rolled over.
Tipton, who’s serving a 25-year jail time period, constructed computer systems utilized by Colorado and different states to generate random numbers for drawings. Starting in 2005, he secretly put in code that directed them to make use of a predictable system to choose numbers on May 27, Nov. 23, and Dec. 29 for drawings that fell on Wednesdays and Saturdays. The Nov. 23, 2005, Colorado drawing is the primary that was once mounted.
Massihzadeh had performed the lottery for years, regularly purchasing a couple of tickets. Like maximum, he bought “quick pick” tickets that computer systems generated for him reasonably than settling on numbers manually. He was once “shocked and thrilled” to be informed that his was once one in all 3 tickets that matched all six numbers for the Colorado Lotto, the lawsuit says.
Massihzadeh had no concept that the opposite two winners had been a part of what prosecutors have referred to as the “ultimate 21st century inside job.”
Eddie Tipton had simulated the drawing and recorded most likely successful mixtures via hand. He gave a pocket book with the ones numbers to his brother, Tommy, then a Justice of the Peace in Flatonia, Texas, who traveled to Colorado to play them. One was once the winner. To cover his id, Tommy Tipton recruited a chum to say the prize.
The 3rd price ticket was once redeemed via Cuestion de Suerte LLC, which has been connected to 2 Texas attorneys who’re mates of Tommy Tipton.
The Tiptons have claimed that the attorneys stole the successful numbers from Tommy Tipton and performed them with out his wisdom. The attorneys have not been charged. But the Tiptons’ plea agreements state that any one discovered “to have profited from the payment of lottery prizes” in Colorado would possibly nonetheless face restitution calls for.
Timeline of the most important crime in US lottery historical past
The following is a compilation of Lottery Post information protection chronicling the Hot Lotto thriller and due to this fact found out crime.
We get started the timeline with a information tale indicating that most effective three months remained for the $16 million Hot Lotto jackpot to be claimed.
- Iowa Lottery safety leader bent on figuring out id of jackpot winner, Jan. 10, 2012
- NY attorney in lottery thriller travels to Iowa this week, Jan. 17, 2012
- Iowa Lottery safety leader to grill NY attorney over Hot Lotto price ticket, Jan. 17, 2012
- Representative of Hot Lotto winner named in lawsuit, Jan. 20, 2012
- Hot Lotto agree with consultant would possibly not title winner, Jan. 20, 2012
- Iowa Lottery threatens to disclaim jackpot payout if winner remains nameless, Jan. 23, 2012
- Lawyer provides up $14 million Iowa lottery price ticket declare, Jan. 26, 2012
- $14.three million Hot Lotto prize declare withdrawn, Jan. 27, 2012
- Iowa Legislators happy with Lottery’s dealing with of puzzle jackpot winner, Feb. 1, 2012
- Iowa Lottery to provide away hundreds of thousands from jackpot thriller, Feb. 26, 2012
- Iowa Lottery director: 50-50 that Hot Lotto thriller shall be solved, Aug. nine, 2012
- Iowa officers looking to resolve lotto thriller, would possibly unlock surveillance video, Aug. 19, 2012
- MUSL worker arrested in Hot Lotto jackpot thriller, Jan. 15, 2015
- BOMBSHELL: MUSL worker would possibly have rigged Hot Lotto automatic drawing, Apr. 13, 2015
- Texas guy charged in Iowa lottery case contests extradition, Apr. 20, 2015
- Extradition trial starts this week in $16.5M Hot Lotto fraud case, Jun. 7, 2015
- Inside the most important lottery rip-off ever, Jul. 7, 2015
- Trial underway in global’s largest lottery fraud case, Jul. 14, 2015
- Lottery safety leader: Rigging automatic recreation “sadly” conceivable, Jul. 15, 2015
- Prosecution rests in Hot Lotto trial, Jul. 16, 2015
- Defense temporarily wraps up in Hot Lotto trial, Jul. 16, 2015
- Hot Lotto case strikes to jury for deliberations, Jul. 17, 2015
- Former lottery safety worker to blame of rigging $14.3M drawing, Jul. 20, 2015
- MUSL safety employee who rigged drawing will get 10 years, Sep. nine, 2015
- HOT LOTTO DRAWING CHEAT CHARGED WITH RIGGING MORE JACKPOTS, Oct. nine, 2015
- Texas government had in the past investigated brother of lottery cheat, Oct. 14, 2015
- Another $1.2M Hot Lotto jackpot rigged via Tipton, officers say, Nov. 21, 2015
- Jackpot-fixing investigation expands to extra state lotteries, Dec. 18, 2015
- Prosecutors say Tipton rigged two jackpots he bought tickets for in Kansas, Dec. 21, 2015
- Maine provides names of Hot Lotto winners to Iowa group having a look into rigging scheme, Dec. 23, 2015
- S.C. Lottery assures public no automatic drawings utilized in state, Dec. 23, 2015
- Kansas lottery gamers wondering recreation’s integrity, Dec. 23, 2015
- MUSL CHIEF OUSTED OVER JACKPOT-RIGGING SCANDAL, Dec. 23, 2015
- Lottery scandal not going to have an effect on New Mexico, respectable says, Dec. 26, 2015
- Tipton granted lengthen in subsequent trial till July, Dec. 29, 2015
- Iowa Lottery CEO Terry Rich to reply to lottery participant questions are living Monday night time, Jan. 11, 2016
- First lawsuit in state lottery-fixing scandal seeks hundreds of thousands, Feb. four, 2016
- MUSL seeks to push aside lawsuit over rigged jackpot, Apr. 1, 2016
- Lottery scammer’s brother dealing with felony fees, Apr. 6, 2016
- Investigators in finding Tipton’s instrument code to rig automatic lottery drawings, Apr. 7, 2016
- Lottery rigging scandal activates safety audit in South Dakota, Apr. 13, 2016
- Preliminary listening to rescheduled for Tommy Tipton in lottery rigging case, Apr. 22, 2016
- Third suspect surrenders in nationwide lottery rigging scandal, Apr. 28, 2016
- Lottery rip-off investigation involves Tennessee, May 11, 2016
- Investigators in finding any other good friend of Tipton who cashed rigged lottery prize, May 11, 2016
- Convicted automatic drawing fraudster argues Iowa courtroom enchantment, Jun. 16, 2016
- US Senate panel calls for data in lottery scandal, Jun. 22, 2016
- Lottery rigging trial to be moved out of Des Moines, Jun. 27, 2016
- Eddie Tipton’s new trial behind schedule till 2017, Jul. 1, 2016
- Iowa courtroom reverses a part of Tipton’s lottery fraud conviction, Jul. 28, 2016
- Internal investigation concludes Tipton acted by myself to rig lottery drawings, Aug. 10, 2016
- Prosecutors say 2 extra males could also be connected to lottery riggings, Aug. 24, 2016
- Judge: winner’s lawsuit in lottery-fixing case can proceed, Oct. 13, 2016
- Alleged lottery scandal conspirator to go into new plea, Nov. 14, 2016
- Accused lottery rigger Eddie Tipton dealing with new Wisconsin fees, Dec. 22, 2016
- Man information lawsuit over rigged lottery jackpots, Jan. four, 2017
- Trials for Tipton brothers charged in lottery scandal behind schedule, Jan. eight, 2017
- Former MUSL respectable won severance amid lottery jackpot scandal, Jan. 10, 2017
- Texas guy pleads to blame to fraud in lottery scandal case, Jan. 11, 2017
- Iowa Supreme Court hears lottery rigging case, Feb. 14, 2017
- Kansas information lawsuit towards accused lottery rigger, Mar. 16, 2017
- Best good friend to testify towards Tipton at July lottery rigging trial, Mar. 31, 2017
- Mastermind of lottery fraud will give an explanation for how he rigged jackpots, Jun. 12, 2017
- FBI ignored rigged jackpot in 2006 ahead of lottery scheme grew, Jun. 19, 2017
- The Five lottery jackpots Tipton and his buddies stole, Jun. 20, 2017
- Lottery jackpot rigger’s Iowa convictions brushed aside, Jun. 23, 2017
- IT’S OFFICIAL: Tipton pleads to blame to rigging automatic lottery drawings, Jun. 29, 2017
- Lottery rigging companion used Wisconsin payout for offshore tax rip-off, Jul. 6, 2017
- Hot Lotto multi-state lottery recreation to finish in October, Aug. nine, 2017
- Lottery rigging mastermind sentenced to 25 years in jail, Aug. 22, 2017
AP, Lottery Post Staff
We’d love to peer your feedback right here! Register for a FREE club — it takes only a few moments — and you are able to submit feedback right here and on any of our boards. If you are already a member, you’ll Log In to submit a remark.
Posted 11 mins in the past. No feedback.