Wed. Powerball lottery jackpot jumps to $700 million
2d-largest lottery jackpot the arena has ever noticed!
Cash worth just about half-billion greenbacks
By Todd Northrop
Spurred on through a surge of lottery price tag gross sales, the Multi-State Lottery Association (MUSL) has raised the reliable estimate for Wednesday’s Powerball drawing to $700 million.
With a brand new lump-sum money estimate of $443.three million, a single-ticket winner of the drawing would obtain just about a half-billion greenbacks in money.
And it won’t forestall there.
Players must look ahead to additional jackpot will increase ahead of the Wednesday drawing. Long strains of price tag consumers around the country are producing lottery price tag gross sales at exceptional ranges. Players must now not wait till the ultimate minute to purchase their their tickets.
Maryland Lottery and Gaming Director Gordon Medenica expressed what many are feeling all the way through this jackpot surge: “So happy to see the excitement building again! Great fun!”
Wednesday’s jackpot began at $40 million on June 14th, and is the results of 20 drawings without a jackpot winner.
The ultimate jackpot tally will probably be introduced all the way through the are living draw display on Wednesday night time, even if it is nonetheless conceivable the reliable estimate will probably be greater once more ahead of then.
Although many gamers will acquire a couple of tickets to build up their possibilities of successful, state lotteries are cautioning restraint.
“As always, we encourage players to play responsibly. It only takes one ticket to win. Pool play is very popular with big jackpots, and this reinforces the community aspect of playing Powerball with your friends and coworkers,” stated Arkansas Scholarship Lottery Director Bishop Woosley.
Wednesday’s Powerball grand prize is the second-largest lottery jackpot in international historical past. The handiest better lottery jackpot ever awarded used to be on January 13, 2016, when 3 tickets from California, Florida, and Tennessee shared a $1.6 billion Powerball jackpot.
Although some lottery gamers (and a few within the information media) consider Spain’s El Gordo carries the second-largest lottery jackpot on the planet, this isn’t the case. El Gordo, in spite of being termed a “lottery” is in truth a raffle-style sport, and the highest prize is all the time divided between loads of winners. It is sort of a lottery scratch sport during which is the whole to be had prize pool of up to loads of thousands and thousands of greenbacks is divided between hundreds of winners, and isn’t thought to be a “jackpot”.
A jackpot is a big money prize that accumulates till it’s received, while a prize pool is the whole worth awarded to all gamers of a sport. Thus, Powerball has the most important jackpot in international historical past, whilst El Gordo has the most important prize pool. Some might consider that is splitting hairs, however within the lottery trade it’s crucial difference, and sadly one who the mainstream information media cares little to differentiate.
Powerball jackpots get started at $40 million and roll till the jackpot is received. Players win the jackpot through matching 5 numbers from a box of 69 numbers and one Powerball quantity from a box of 26 numbers. Drawings are performed every Wednesday and Saturday at 10:59 pm Eastern Time.
Powerball lottery effects are printed inside of mins of the drawing at USA Mega (www.usamega.com). The USA Mega Web website supplies lottery gamers in-depth details about the United States’s two greatest multi-state lottery video games, Mega Millions and Powerball.
Players taking a look to calculate what they’d obtain after the preliminary federal and state tax withholdings can in finding all of it pre-calculated for every Powerball jurisdiction at the Jackpot Analysis web page at USA Mega.
Top 25 United States lottery jackpots of all time
Wednesday’s Powerball jackpot these days stands because the second-largest lottery jackpot of all time within the United States — and on the planet. The quantity of the jackpot might upward push even additional ahead of the drawing Wednesday night time, as lotteries are generally conservative of their preliminary estimates, and brisk gross sales will indubitably proceed to push the jackpot estimate upper through draw time.
If no person wins Wednesday issues gets actually fascinating.
- Powerball: $1.5864 billion, Jan. 13, 2016 – California, Florida, Tennessee
- Powerball: $700 million, Aug. 23, 2017 – Preliminary estimate, now not received but
- Mega Millions: $656 million, Mar. 30, 2012 – Illinois, Kansas, Maryland
- Mega Millions: $636 million, Dec. 17, 2013 – California, Georgia
- Powerball: $590.Five million, May 18, 2013 – Florida
- Powerball: $587.Five million, Nov. 28, 2012 – Arizona, Missouri
- Powerball: $564.1 million, Feb. 7, 2015 – North Carolina, Puerto Rico, Texas
- Mega Millions: $536 million, Jul. eight, 2016 – Indiana
- Powerball: $487 million, Jul. 30, 2016 – New Hampshire
- Powerball: $448.four million, Aug. 7, 2013 – Minnesota, New Jersey (2)
- Powerball: $447.eight million, Jun. 10, 2017 – California
- Powerball: $435.three million, Feb. 22, 2017 – Indiana
- Powerball: $429.6 million, May 7, 2016 – New Jersey
- Powerball: $425.three million, Feb. 19, 2014 – California
- Powerball: $420.nine million, Nov. 26, 2016 – Tennessee
- Mega Millions: $414 million, Mar. 18, 2014 – Florida, Maryland
- Powerball: $399.four million, Sep. 18, 2013 – South Carolina
- Mega Millions: $393 million, Aug. 11, 2017 – Illinois
- Mega Millions: $390 million, Mar. 6, 2007 – Georgia, New Jersey
- Mega Millions: $380 million, Jan. four, 2011 – Idaho, Washington
- Powerball: $365 million, Feb. 18, 2006 – Nebraska
- The Big Game: $363 million, May nine, 2000 – Illinois, Michigan
- Powerball: $340 million, Oct. 19, 2005 – Oregon
- Powerball: $338.three million, Mar. 23, 2013 – New Jersey
- Powerball: $337 million, Aug. 15, 2012 – Michigan
For the ones conserving ranking, the collection of jackpots within the most sensible 25, through lottery sport, are:
- Powerball: 17
- Mega Millions: 7
- The Big Game: 1
The Big Game is the unique identify of Mega Millions, from the sport’s first drawing on Sep. 6, 1996 via May 14, 2002. The identify used to be modified to Mega Millions beginning with the May 17, 2002 drawing.
Top 25 money worth jackpots
Since many lottery winners gather their winnings in money, the lump-sum payout is crucial measure of what a successful price tag may well be price.
Looking on the money worth, the approaching Powerball jackpot ranks because the Third-largest money worth in U.S. historical past.
- Powerball: $983.Five million money, Jan. 13, 2016 ($1.5864 billion annuity) – California, Florida, Tennessee
- Mega Millions: $471 million money, Mar. 30, 2012 ($656 million annuity) – Illinois, Kansas, Maryland
- Powerball: $443.three million money, Aug. 23, 2017 ($700 million annuity) – Preliminary estimate, now not received but
- Powerball: $384.7 million money, Nov. 28, 2012 ($587.Five million annuity) – Arizona, Missouri
- Powerball: $381.1 million money, Feb. 7, 2015 ($564.1 million annuity) – North Carolina, Puerto Rico, Texas
- Mega Millions: $378 million money, Jul. eight, 2016 ($536 million annuity) – Indiana
- Powerball: $370.nine million money, May 18, 2013 ($590.Five million annuity) – Florida
- Mega Millions: $347.6 million money, Dec. 17, 2013 ($636 million annuity) – California, Georgia
- Powerball: $336.eight million money, Jul. 30, 2016 ($487 million annuity) – New Hampshire
- Powerball: $284 million money, May 7, 2016 ($429.6 million annuity) – New Jersey
- Powerball: $279.1 million money, Jun. 10, 2017 ($447.eight million annuity) – California
- Powerball: $263.Five million money, Feb. 22, 2017 ($435.three million annuity) – Indiana
- Powerball: $258.2 million money, Aug. 7, 2013 ($448.four million annuity) – Minnesota, New Jersey (2)
- Powerball: $254.7 million money, Nov. 26, 2016 ($420.nine million annuity) – Tennessee
- Mega Millions: $246.Five million money, Aug. 11, 2017 ($393 million annuity) – Illinois
- Mega Millions: $240 million money, Jan. four, 2011 ($380 million annuity) – Idaho, Washington
- Mega Millions: $233.1 million money, Mar. 6, 2007 ($390 million annuity) – Georgia, New Jersey
- Mega Millions: $230.nine million money, Mar. 18, 2014 ($414 million annuity) – Florida, Maryland
- Powerball: $227.eight million money, Feb. 19, 2014 ($425.three million annuity) – California
- Powerball: $224.7 million money, Aug. 15, 2012 ($337 million annuity) – Michigan
- Powerball: $223.three million money, Sep. 18, 2013 ($399.four million annuity) – South Carolina
- Mega Millions: $214 million money, Aug. 28, 2009 ($336 million annuity) – California, New York
- Powerball: $211 million money, Mar. 23, 2013 ($338.three million annuity) – New Jersey
- Powerball: $210 million money, Feb. 11, 2012 ($336.four million annuity) – Rhode Island
- Mega Millions: $202.nine million money, Mar. 25, 2011 ($319 million annuity) – New York
The collection of jackpot money values within the most sensible 25, through lottery sport, are:
- Powerball: 16
- Mega Millions: nine
Lottery Post Staff
We’d love to see your feedback right here! Register for a FREE club — it takes only a few moments — and you’ll be able to be in a position to put up feedback right here and on any of our boards. If you might be already a member, you’ll be able to Log In to put up a remark.