Multi-state lottery games start 2018 with a combined $783 million mega jackpot
Powerball and Mega Millions jackpots are each are in best 25
by means of Todd Northrop
2018 began with near-record chilly sweeping throughout a lot of the United States, however the country’s two greatest multi-state games could not be warmer.
Powerball and Mega Millions were emerging ceaselessly for the previous few weeks, with each games’ jackpots now on the level the place even informal lottery gamers start to place ticket-buying on their checklist of to-dos.
After no one gained Mega Millions on Friday and Powerball on Saturday, the Mega Millions jackpot greater to $343 million, whilst Powerball leaped to $440 million. The lump-sum money choices are $215 million and $278.three million, respectively.
Only as soon as prior to in historical past have two USA lottery jackpots been concurrently more than $300 million, and that came about in Aug. 2017. The very subsequent Mega Millions drawing used to be gained by means of a unmarried lottery price tag bought in Illinois after which claimed a couple of weeks later by means of a couple from Palos Heights.
The Powerball jackpot throughout that run-up reached $758.7 million and changed into the biggest lottery jackpot on the planet ever gained by means of a unmarried price tag. Astonishingly, 53-year-old Mavis Wanczyk walked into Massachusetts Lottery headquarters the morning after the drawing to say the prize and took part in a press convention that afternoon. The Massachusetts lottery device used to promote the profitable price tag is now on excursion all the way through the state.
At no time in historical past have two US jackpots been concurrently more than $400 million, however that milestone could also be reached if the games roll any other drawing or two.
Both the Mega Millions and Powerball jackpots lately are within the best 25 all-time US lottery jackpot checklist — each for the annuity worth and the money worth. The whole best 25 lists may also be discovered beneath.
(As a aspect be aware, it is wonderful to suppose that a jackpot now has to succeed in a staggering $340 million prior to it will probably make the highest 25 checklist!)
With the bigger jackpot of the 2 games, Powerball could also be attracting extra consideration and its jackpot is rising a bit quicker. After no one gained the $390.1 million Powerball jackpot on Saturday night, the sport added any other $50 million for the following drawing on Wednesday, with the money worth including $35.four million to its earlier quantity of $242.nine million.
Mega Millions added $37 million to the former jackpot of $306 million when no one gained on Friday night time, and the money worth ticked up $24 million from its earlier quantity of $191 million.
Lottery gamers in need of to peer what their take-home loot could be for this week’s drawings (after preliminary taxes are withheld) can take a look at the Jackpot Analysis for Mega Millions and Jackpot Analysis for Powerball pages at USA Mega.
Tickets value $2 each and every, and each games be offering a multiplier function (“Megaplier” for Mega Millions and “Power Play” for Powerball) available to buy for an additional $1 according to play. Players who acquire the multiplier could have their profitable non-jackpot prizes multiplied by means of the random multiplier quantity drawn that night. A pleasant approach to console your self after somebody else wins your jackpot.
Multipliers are to be had in all states providing the games except for California, which bans the kind of mounted prize payouts awarded by means of multipliers.
Mega Millions drawings are held each and every Tuesday and Friday night at 11:00 PM Eastern Time (eight:00 PM Pacific Time), and Powerball drawings are held Wednesday and Saturday evenings at 10:59 PM Eastern Time (7:59 PM Pacific Time).
Players in search of a within reach lottery store are inspired to make use of Lottery Places, an app for iOS, Android, and Windows that may find the closest lottery outlets in each and every jurisdiction that sells Powerball and Mega Millions. The useful app can find lottery outlets within the United States, the United Kingdom, Mexico, a lot of Canada, and the Caribbean.
The profitable numbers for each games can be revealed mins after the drawings at USA Mega (www.usamega.com), domestic of the United States’s two mega jackpot games.
Top 25 United States lottery jackpots of all time
The present Powerball and Mega Millions jackpots lately stand because the 12th- and 24th-largest lottery jackpots of all time within the United States. Both positions might upward thrust prior to the drawing, as lotteries are most often conservative of their preliminary estimates, and brisk gross sales might push the jackpot estimate upper by means of draw time.
- Powerball: $1.5864 billion, Jan. 13, 2016 – California, Florida, Tennessee
- Powerball: $758.7 million, Aug. 23, 2017 – Massachusetts
- Mega Millions: $656 million, Mar. 30, 2012 – Illinois, Kansas, Maryland
- Mega Millions: $636 million, Dec. 17, 2013 – California, Georgia
- Powerball: $590.Five million, May 18, 2013 – Florida
- Powerball: $587.Five million, Nov. 28, 2012 – Arizona, Missouri
- Powerball: $564.1 million, Feb. 7, 2015 – North Carolina, Puerto Rico, Texas
- Mega Millions: $536 million, Jul. eight, 2016 – Indiana
- Powerball: $487 million, Jul. 30, 2016 – New Hampshire
- Powerball: $448.four million, Aug. 7, 2013 – Minnesota, New Jersey (2)
- Powerball: $447.eight million, Jun. 10, 2017 – California
- Powerball: $440 million, Jan. three, 2018 – Initial estimate, now not gained but
- Powerball: $435.three million, Feb. 22, 2017 – Indiana
- Powerball: $429.6 million, May 7, 2016 – New Jersey
- Powerball: $425.three million, Feb. 19, 2014 – California
- Powerball: $420.nine million, Nov. 26, 2016 – Tennessee
- Mega Millions: $414 million, Mar. 18, 2014 – Florida, Maryland
- Powerball: $399.four million, Sep. 18, 2013 – South Carolina
- Mega Millions: $393 million, Aug. 11, 2017 – Illinois
- Mega Millions: $390 million, Mar. 6, 2007 – Georgia, New Jersey
- Mega Millions: $380 million, Jan. four, 2011 – Idaho, Washington
- Powerball: $365 million, Feb. 18, 2006 – Nebraska
- The Big Game: $363 million, May nine, 2000 – Illinois, Michigan
- Mega Millions: $343 million, Jan. 2, 2018 – Initial estimate, now not gained but
- Powerball: $340 million, Oct. 19, 2005 – Oregon
The collection of jackpots within the best 25, by means of lottery sport, are:
- Powerball: 16
- Mega Millions: eight
- The Big Game: 1
The Big Game is the unique title of Mega Millions, from the sport’s first drawing on Sep. 6, 1996 thru May 14, 2002. The title used to be modified to Mega Millions beginning with the May 17, 2002 drawing.
Top 25 money worth jackpots
Since many lottery winners acquire their winnings in money, the lump-sum payout is a very powerful measure of what a profitable price tag might be value.
The upcoming Powerball and Mega Millions jackpots rank because the 12th- and 23rd-largest money values in U.S. historical past.
- Powerball: $983.Five million money, Jan. 13, 2016 ($1.5864 billion annuity) – California, Florida, Tennessee
- Powerball: $480.Five million money, Aug. 23, 2017 ($758.7 million annuity) – Massachusetts
- Mega Millions: $471 million money, Mar. 30, 2012 ($656 million annuity) – Illinois, Kansas, Maryland
- Powerball: $384.7 million money, Nov. 28, 2012 ($587.Five million annuity) – Arizona, Missouri
- Powerball: $381.1 million money, Feb. 7, 2015 ($564.1 million annuity) – North Carolina, Puerto Rico, Texas
- Mega Millions: $378 million money, Jul. eight, 2016 ($536 million annuity) – Indiana
- Powerball: $370.nine million money, May 18, 2013 ($590.Five million annuity) – Florida
- Mega Millions: $347.6 million money, Dec. 17, 2013 ($636 million annuity) – California, Georgia
- Powerball: $336.eight million money, Jul. 30, 2016 ($487 million annuity) – New Hampshire
- Powerball: $284 million money, May 7, 2016 ($429.6 million annuity) – New Jersey
- Powerball: $279.1 million money, Jun. 10, 2017 ($447.eight million annuity) – California
- Powerball: $278.three million money, Jan. three, 2018 ($440 million annuity) – Initial estimate, now not gained but
- Powerball: $263.Five million money, Feb. 22, 2017 ($435.three million annuity) – Indiana
- Powerball: $258.2 million money, Aug. 7, 2013 ($448.four million annuity) – Minnesota, New Jersey (2)
- Powerball: $254.7 million money, Nov. 26, 2016 ($420.nine million annuity) – Tennessee
- Mega Millions: $246.Five million money, Aug. 11, 2017 ($393 million annuity) – Illinois
- Mega Millions: $240 million money, Jan. four, 2011 ($380 million annuity) – Idaho, Washington
- Mega Millions: $233.1 million money, Mar. 6, 2007 ($390 million annuity) – Georgia, New Jersey
- Mega Millions: $230.nine million money, Mar. 18, 2014 ($414 million annuity) – Florida, Maryland
- Powerball: $227.eight million money, Feb. 19, 2014 ($425.three million annuity) – California
- Powerball: $224.7 million money, Aug. 15, 2012 ($337 million annuity) – Michigan
- Powerball: $223.three million money, Sep. 18, 2013 ($399.four million annuity) – South Carolina
- Mega Millions: $215 million money, Jan. 2, 2018 ($343 million annuity) – Initial estimate, now not gained but
- Mega Millions: $214 million money, Aug. 28, 2009 ($336 million annuity) – California, New York
- Powerball: $211 million money, Mar. 23, 2013 ($338.three million annuity) – New Jersey
The collection of jackpot money values within the best 25, by means of lottery sport, are:
- Powerball: 16
- Mega Millions: nine
Lottery Post Staff
We’d love to peer your feedback right here! Register for a FREE club — it takes simply a few moments — and you are able to put up feedback right here and on any of our boards. If you are already a member, you’ll be able to Log In to put up a remark.