Lottery-scamming brothers avoid asset seizures by transferring property to their mother
By Jason Clayworth
Two brothers who had been in the back of the most important lottery rip-off in U.S. historical past and owe greater than $2.three million in unpaid restitution and courtroom charges lately transferred a number of houses they owned to their mother.
The transfers from Eddie and Tommy Tipton have raised additional questions on why 4 states — Oklahoma, Kansas, Wisconsin and Colorado — haven’t begun to clutch their houses.
It has been about two years since the brothers admitted their position in a rip-off that hijacked lottery computer systems and for years as it should be predicted the “random” numbers in drawings around the country.
Eddie Tipton is in an Iowa jail for up to 25 years. But Tommy Tipton, a former Texas Justice of the Peace, has served his 75-day prison time period and keeps his longtime place of abode in Flatonia, Texas. The house — which was once transferred in 2013 to a consider owned by Tommy and his now ex-wife — has a pool and a marketplace worth of just about $780,00zero, property data display.
“If you asked anyone locally, it’s been pretty apparent the Tiptons are doing just fine and able to afford quite a lifestyle,” mentioned Sandra Kimball, a Texas resident who was once pals with Tommy Tipton’s female friend Jennifer Luce, whose January dying stays below investigation.
Eddie Tipton is a former safety leader of the Multi-State Lottery Association, headquartered in Urbandale, Iowa. In 2005 he devised a pc code replicated on as many as 17 state lottery programs that for years allowed him to expect the so-called random laptop attracts in video games performed in a couple of states.
Eddie Tipton admitted that he gave profitable numbers to a couple of friends, together with his brother.
The scheme went undetected till Eddie Tipton in 2010 was once captured on a Des Moines comfort retailer video digital camera buying a $16.Five million Hot Lotto price ticket. Authorities started investigating after a couple of makes an attempt had been made to accumulate the jackpot anonymously. The Hot Lotto win was once by no means paid.
Tommy and Eddie Tipton pleaded responsible to legal crimes similar to the rigging scheme in June 2017 and agreed to pay off $2.2 million in restitution plus different prices to Colorado, Kansas, Wisconsin and Oklahoma.
So a ways lower than $1,300 has been repaid. At the present fee, Oklahoma estimates it is going to be totally reimbursed in 190 years.
Land data first revealed by the Des Moines Register about 4 months in the past display Tommy and Eddie Tipton personal virtually $2 million in Texas property. No state had taken motion to clutch the land earlier than the Register’s first assessment and that hasn’t modified, in accordance to courtroom data and interviews carried out in April with officers from every state.
Some state officers now say prison quagmires may additional extend or finish any chance that the houses will likely be seized.
Officials say it is unclear which state or group is absolute best to take the lead to pursue property seizure and the way the restitution can be divvied up, since one of the crucial video games defrauded by the Tiptons are owned and performed by a couple of states.
Those problems are being mulled by the Multi-State Lottery Association and its contributors, mentioned Jay Finks, deputy director of the Oklahoma Lottery.
The prospect that states will select no longer to pursue property seizure in opposition to the Tiptons “is always a possibility,” Finks mentioned. “What are the legal costs for states to pursue this? I don’t think that’s been determined yet.”
Iowa Auditor Rob Sand, a former state prosecutor who helped convict the brothers, contends the process to achieve the houses must be simple prison lifting on account of the plea deal the brothers made with Iowa prosecutors.
The two agreed in that deal to consent to judgments in opposition to any property in their identify or for property held for them by the use of friends or members of the family.
“It’s just ridiculous. I’m literally shocked,” Sand mentioned. “If I was a taxpayer of somewhere like Oklahoma, I would be pounding at my government’s door right now.”
Tommy Tipton mentioned he was once having a difficult time as “a single dad, raising three kids on a very limited income with lots of bills,” when he in short spoke with the Register on Nov. 23.
The deeds to two of the brothers’ houses had been transferred to their mother, Lawanda Tipton, on Nov. 27, data display.
Tommy Tipton declined to remark for this newsletter.
Lawanda Tipton informed the Register she bought the houses — which come with a area, a mini garage facility and virtually 68 acres in Fayette County, Texas — as a result of Tommy Tipton wanted cash for attorneys.
The houses final 12 months had a mixed marketplace worth of about $390,00zero.
Lawanda Tipton, 75, lives in Missouri City, Texas, about two hours from the houses. She declined to say how a lot she paid or what she plans to do with the houses.
“He needed money for lawyers and I bought them. That was it,” she mentioned.
Allen Weise, a Tipton critic and resident of Flatonia Texas, believes the window of alternative for states to accumulate the ill-gotten wins is readily final and represents a social injustice.
“You and I, we worry about getting receipts to prove every dime on our tax returns but look at these clowns,” Weise mentioned. “Apparently, they don’t have to pay what they owe.”
What the Tipton brothers owe
Here is what Eddie and Tommy Tipton owe, and every state’s reaction to the Register’s inquiries.
In Oklahoma and Colorado, parts of the restitution are regarded as joint bills owed by each brothers, as a substitute of personally. The quantities indexed for the ones states are overall quantities owed.
- Amount ordered to be repaid: $644,478 by Eddie and Tommy Tipton
- Repayment/state reaction: $532 has been paid. The dialog continues about which states must take the lead on movements that might lead to seizing property, mentioned Jay Finks, deputy director of the Oklahoma Lottery.
- Amount ordered to be repaid: $1,137,980 by Eddie and Tommy Tipton
- Repayment/state reaction: $470 has been paid. Lawrence Pacheco, director of communications for the Colorado Attorney General’s Office, didn’t reply to inquiries in regards to the state’s efforts to accumulate restitution.
- Amount ordered to be repaid: $125,423 by Eddie Tipton.
- Repayment/state reaction: $25.44 has been paid. Iowa courtroom data display Eddie Tipton was once ordered to pay $30,806 in restitution. Kansas’ Attorney General’s Office past due final 12 months effectively sought further motion that comes with enhanced consequences, courtroom data display. Jennifer Montgomery, a spokeswoman for the place of business, didn’t reply to questions on why the state hasn’t attempted to clutch houses.
- Amount ordered to be repaid: $409,600 by Eddie Tipton
- Repayment/state reaction: $198.12 has been paid by Tipton, mentioned Patricia Mayers, a spokeswoman for the Wisconsin Lottery. Robert Rhodes, a pal and companion of Eddie Tipton’s, paid $345,527 of his $409,600 overview as of April 11. Judgments in opposition to each Tipton and Rhodes can’t be discharged in bankruptcies “so we can pursue them for life and we can ask a judge to extend their imprisonment if they don’t repay us,” Mayers mentioned.
What the Tipton brothers personal
Among Eddie and Tommy Tipton’s houses and up to date transactions known in public data, the Register discovered:
- HOME WITH A POOL: Tommy Tipton owns his longtime house with a pool in Flatonia, Texas, with a marketplace worth of $779,460. He and his now ex-wife, Pamela, in May 2013 transferred that property to a consider — a monetary device every so often used to offer protection to property from collectors — that continues to be in their names. The switch came about 15 months after the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation and the Iowa Attorney General’s Office introduced they’d introduced an investigation into suspicious lottery winnings.
- BUSINESS OR INVESTMENT PROPERTIES: Tommy Tipton owns no less than 5 different houses in Fayette County, Texas, with a mixed marketplace worth of $1,354,210. The most useful parcel comprises 100 acres of local pastureland with a marketplace worth of just about $401,00zero; others come with a gasoline station, a area, a cellular house and a business construction.
- EDDIE’S HOME GOES TO MOTHER: Eddie Tipton owned a 55-acre parcel with a house close to Flatonia, Texas, with a present marketplace worth of $365,380. The property was once deeded to his mother, Lawanda Tipton, on Nov. 27, 2018.
- JOINT OWNERSHIP: Tommy and Eddie Tipton collectively personal 13 acres of land with a marketplace worth of $80,750. They additionally personal mineral rights on every other property. On Nov. 27, Lawanda Tipton was once deeded a 3rd property they owned that features a mini-storage web page.
- RECENTLY SOLD: Tommy Tipton offered no less than two different Fayette County, Texas, houses since his unencumber from prison. In January 2018, he offered 102 acres of pasture, and in March 2018 he offered a Five.7-acre vacant residential plot. The marketplace values of the houses are indexed as $580,730 and $54,490, respectively.
- RECENTLY PURCHASED: On March 25, 2018 — 11 days after Tommy Tipton offered the Five.7-acre parcel — a house assessed at $36,240 was once deeded to his daughter. The mailing deal with for the property is similar deal with as Tommy Tipton’s pool house. She didn’t go back requests for an interview.
Timeline of the most important crime in US lottery historical past
The following is a compilation of Lottery Post information protection chronicling the Hot Lotto thriller and due to this fact came upon crime.
We get started the timeline with a information tale indicating that simplest three months remained for the $16 million Hot Lotto jackpot to be claimed.
(Click to show full-size in gallery)
Des Moines Register
We’d love to see your feedback right here! Register for a FREE club — it takes only a few moments — and you’ll be able to be in a position to put up feedback right here and on any of our boards. If you are already a member, you’ll be able to Log In to put up a remark.