$750 MILLION: Powerball lottery jackpot surges to 4th-largest ever
Only the 4th time in historical past a lottery jackpot has grown to $700 million+
By Todd Northrop
This week lottery avid gamers around the United States can be pulling out the entire stops to try to win Powerball, that includes one of the vital biggest lottery jackpots in historical past, price an estimated $750 million.
If you’re feeling find it irresistible’s been a very long time since Powerball remaining had a jackpot winner you would be proper. The 25 consecutive drawings for the reason that remaining winner on Dec. 26 is the longest stretch and not using a jackpot winner within the sport’s historical past.
All the ones drawings have collected an enormous pile of money, able to supply multi-generational wealth to the fortunate lottery participant who wins all of it.
It is the 4th-largest lottery jackpot in global historical past, and the Fifth-largest money choice ever presented. It may be simplest the 4th time in historical past any lottery jackpot has crossed the $700 million mark.
Saturday evening when there have been no Powerball jackpot winners, the brand new jackpot for Wednesday’s drawing was once raised to $750 million, with a lump-sum money choice of $465.Five million. Nearly a half-billion bucks in money!
Players will have to be aware that jackpot quantities are conservative estimates equipped by way of the lotteries, and are ceaselessly moderately upper by the point the drawing happens. For instance, the unique estimate for Saturday’s drawing was once $625 million, however by the point the entire proceeds have been counted simply earlier than draw-time, the jackpot had swelled to $638.eight million.
Of path, any giant winner (or winners) of Wednesday’s Powerball jackpot may have to pay taxes on their prize, so the web page USA Mega has a at hand Powerball Jackpot Analysis web page to be had to calculate the federal and state taxes that may be withheld upon payout. (Additional taxes past what’s proven within the research shall be owed by way of the winner the next April, relying on how the winner chooses to do away with and make investments their cash.)
Players on the lookout for a close-by lottery store — or that out-of-the-way store with a smaller line — are inspired to use Lottery Places, the one app for iOS, Android, and Windows that may find the closest lottery shops in each and every jurisdiction that sells Powerball and Mega Millions. The useful app can find lottery retail outlets within the United States, the United Kingdom, Mexico, a lot of Canada, and the Caribbean.
Michigan lottery avid gamers additionally give you the chance to bypass the shop totally and purchase Powerball lottery tickets on-line.
Players out of doors america can use a credible butler carrier, which gives scanned copies of the bought lottery tickets securely hung on behalf of the buyer. In the previous, the lottery price tag carrier was once utilized by other folks out facet america to win giant jackpots in Oregon and Florida.
The successful numbers for Saturday, March 23, 2019 have been 24, 25, 52, 60, and 66, with Powerball quantity Five. The Power Play quantity was once three.
Even regardless that no person received the jackpot Saturday, 10 fortunate avid gamers matched the primary Five numbers for a $1,000,000 prize: 2 from Florida, 1 from Illinois, 1 from New Hampshire, 2 from New York, 1 from North Carolina, 1 from North Dakota, 1 from South Carolina, and 1 from Wisconsin.
Two of the second-prize winners — one of the vital tickets bought in Florida and the only offered in Wisconsin — bought the Power Play choice for an additional $1 in line with play, doubling their prize to $2 million.
When a Powerball price tag is bought with the Power Play choice for an additional $1 in line with price tag, a second-prize win is doubled and every other non-jackpot prize is multplied by way of the Power Play quantity drawn that night. A complete chart of payout quantities may also be discovered at the Powerball Drawing Detail web page at USA Mega, in addition to at the Powerball Prize Payouts web page at Lottery Post.
Power Play isn’t to be had in California, for the reason that fastened nature of the prize build up presented in Power Play isn’t appropriate with California’s pari-mutuel payouts. By legislation, California awards all prizes on a pari-mutuel foundation, that means the prizes will trade each and every drawing according to the collection of tickets offered and the collection of tickets that received at each and every prize stage.
Also within the Saturday drawing, 101 tickets matched 4 white numbers plus the Powerball and received $50,000. Of the ones tickets, 13 have been bought with the Power Play choice, expanding the prize to $150,000, and 12 of the tickets have been offered in California, the place the prize was once price $20,111 this drawing.
Following the Saturday drawing, the Powerball annuity jackpot estimate was once raised a whopping $111.2 million from its earlier quantity of $638.eight million and the money worth was once raised by way of $76.Five million from its earlier quantity of $389 million.
The subsequent Powerball drawing will happen Wednesday evening at 10:59 pm Eastern Time.
Powerball is performed in 44 states, plus the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Drawings are Wednesdays and Saturdays at 10:59 p.m. Eastern Time. Tickets price $2 each and every.
Powerball lottery effects are revealed inside of mins of the drawing at USA Mega (www.usamega.com). The USA Mega Web web page supplies lottery avid gamers in-depth details about the United States’s two greatest multi-state lottery video games, Mega Millions and Powerball.
Top 25 United States lottery jackpots of all time
Wednesday’s Powerball jackpot these days stands because the 4th-largest lottery jackpot of all time within the United States, and the Third-largest Powerball jackpot ever. Brisk gross sales will virtually undoubtedly push the jackpot estimate upper by way of draw time.
- Powerball: $1.5864 billion, Jan. 13, 2016 – California, Florida, Tennessee
- Mega Millions: $1.537 billion, Oct. 23, 2018 – South Carolina
- Powerball: $758.7 million, Aug. 23, 2017 – Massachusetts
- Powerball: $750 million, Mar. 27, 2019 – Preliminary estimate, no longer received but
- Powerball: $687.eight million, Oct. 27, 2018 – Iowa, New York
- Mega Millions: $656 million, Mar. 30, 2012 – Illinois, Kansas, Maryland
- Mega Millions: $636 million, Dec. 17, 2013 – California, Georgia
- Powerball: $590.Five million, May 18, 2013 – Florida
- Powerball: $587.Five million, Nov. 28, 2012 – Arizona, Missouri
- Powerball: $564.1 million, Feb. 7, 2015 – North Carolina, Puerto Rico, Texas
- Powerball: $559.7 million, Jan. 6, 2018 – New Hampshire
- Mega Millions: $543 million, Jul. 24, 2018 – California
- Mega Millions: $536 million, Jul. eight, 2016 – Indiana
- Mega Millions: $533 million, Mar. 30, 2018 – New Jersey
- Powerball: $487 million, Jul. 30, 2016 – New Hampshire
- Powerball: $456.7 million, Mar. 17, 2018 – Pennsylvania
- Mega Millions: $451 million, Jan. Five, 2018 – Florida
- Powerball: $448.four million, Aug. 7, 2013 – Minnesota, New Jersey (2)
- Powerball: $447.eight million, Jun. 10, 2017 – California
- Powerball: $435.three million, Feb. 22, 2017 – Indiana
- Powerball: $429.6 million, May 7, 2016 – New Jersey
- Powerball: $425.three million, Feb. 19, 2014 – California
- Mega Millions: $425 million, Jan. 1, 2019 – New York
- Powerball: $420.nine million, Nov. 26, 2016 – Tennessee
- Mega Millions: $414 million, Mar. 18, 2014 – Florida, Maryland
The collection of jackpots within the best 25, by way of lottery sport, are:
- Powerball: 16
- Mega Millions: nine
Top 25 money worth jackpots
Since many lottery winners acquire their winnings in money, the lump-sum payout is the most important measure of what a successful price tag might be price.
Looking on the money worth, the impending Powerball jackpot ranks because the Fifth-largest money worth in U.S. historical past.
- Powerball: $983.Five million money, Jan. 13, 2016 ($1.5864 billion annuity) – California, Florida, Tennessee
- Mega Millions: $877.eight million money, Oct. 23, 2018 ($1.537 billion annuity) – South Carolina
- Powerball: $480.Five million money, Aug. 23, 2017 ($758.7 million annuity) – Massachusetts
- Mega Millions: $471 million money, Mar. 30, 2012 ($656 million annuity) – Illinois, Kansas, Maryland
- Powerball: $465.Five million money, Mar. 27, 2019 ($750 million annuity) – Preliminary estimate, no longer received but
- Powerball: $396.2 million money, Oct. 27, 2018 ($687.eight million annuity) – Iowa, New York
- Powerball: $384.7 million money, Nov. 28, 2012 ($587.Five million annuity) – Arizona, Missouri
- Powerball: $381.1 million money, Feb. 7, 2015 ($564.1 million annuity) – North Carolina, Puerto Rico, Texas
- Mega Millions: $378 million money, Jul. eight, 2016 ($536 million annuity) – Indiana
- Powerball: $370.nine million money, May 18, 2013 ($590.Five million annuity) – Florida
- Powerball: $352 million money, Jan. 6, 2018 ($559.7 million annuity) – New Hampshire
- Mega Millions: $347.6 million money, Dec. 17, 2013 ($636 million annuity) – California, Georgia
- Powerball: $336.eight million money, Jul. 30, 2016 ($487 million annuity) – New Hampshire
- Mega Millions: $324 million money, Mar. 30, 2018 ($533 million annuity) – New Jersey
- Mega Millions: $320.Five million money, Jul. 24, 2018 ($543 million annuity) – California
- Powerball: $284 million money, May 7, 2016 ($429.6 million annuity) – New Jersey
- Mega Millions: $281.nine million money, Jan. Five, 2018 ($451 million annuity) – Florida
- Powerball: $279.1 million money, Jun. 10, 2017 ($447.eight million annuity) – California
- Powerball: $273.nine million money, Mar. 17, 2018 ($456.7 million annuity) – Pennsylvania
- Powerball: $263.Five million money, Feb. 22, 2017 ($435.three million annuity) – Indiana
- Powerball: $258.2 million money, Aug. 7, 2013 ($448.four million annuity) – Minnesota, New Jersey (2)
- Powerball: $254.7 million money, Nov. 26, 2016 ($420.nine million annuity) – Tennessee
- Mega Millions: $254.6 million money, Jan. 1, 2019 ($425 million annuity) – New York
- Mega Millions: $246.Five million money, Aug. 11, 2017 ($393 million annuity) – Illinois
- Mega Millions: $240 million money, Jan. four, 2011 ($380 million annuity) – Idaho, Washington
The collection of jackpot money values within the best 25, by way of lottery sport, are:
- Powerball: 15
- Mega Millions: 10
Lottery Post Staff
We’d love to see your feedback right here! Register for a FREE club — it takes only a few moments — and you can be in a position to publish feedback right here and on any of our boards. If you might be already a member, you’ll be able to Log In to publish a remark.