$650 MILLION: Powerball lottery jackpot skyrockets
Third-largest US jackpot ever; Third-largest money worth ever
By Todd Northrop
There are going to be numerous lottery tickets bought this week.
For most effective the 4th time within the historical past of United States lotteries, a lottery jackpot has grown to greater than $600 million.
The new high-water mark of $650 million for the present Powerball jackpot used to be completed after no successful tickets have been bought for Saturday night time’s $541.nine million grand prize.
The lump-sum money payout worth of Wednesday’s Powerball jackpot is $411.7 million. After-tax money and annuity prize quantities are reported state-by-state at the Jackpot Analysis web page at USA Mega, a internet web page dedicated to the Powerball and Mega Millions multi-state lottery video games.
There is just one Powerball jackpot that has ever grown better than this one: The document $1.6 billion grand prize drawing on January 13, 2016, when 3 tickets from California, Florida, and Tennessee break up the winnings. The Florida and Tennessee winners claimed their prizes temporarily, however the California winner waited about six months to assert their percentage.
The Mega Millions jackpot of $656 million, lately status in moment position at the all-time checklist, used to be received in March of 2012, break up via 3 tickets bought in Illinois, Kansas, and Maryland.
Players must be aware that jackpot quantities are conservative estimates supplied via the lotteries, and are ceaselessly quite upper by the point the drawing happens. And on this case we are anticipating the jackpot to develop much more via draw time.
In the drawing earlier than the document $1.6 billion jackpot used to be hit, the preliminary estimate of $675 million used to be raised now not as soon as, now not two times, however thrice earlier than in any case attaining $949.eight Million via draw time.
Wednesday’s mammoth jackpot is the results of 20 consecutive attracts with out a winner. The run-up began as a $40 million prize on June 14.
The successful numbers for Saturday, August 19, 2017 have been 17, 19, 39, 43, and 68, with Powerball quantity 13. The Power Play quantity used to be four.
Even despite the fact that no one received the jackpot Saturday, 10 fortunate gamers matched the primary Five numbers for a $1,00zero,00zero prize: 1 from California, 2 from Florida, 2 from Missouri, 1 from New Jersey, 1 from North Carolina, 1 from Pennsylvania, 1 from South Carolina, and 1 from Tennessee.
Only two of the second-prize winners bought the Power Play possibility — the tickets bought in South Carolina and Tennessee. Because the ones tickets have been bought with the Power Play possibility their second-prize wins are mechanically doubled to $2 million. Power Play isn’t to be had in California, for the reason that fastened nature of the prize building up presented in Power Play isn’t suitable with California’s pari-mutuel payouts.
116 tickets matched 4 white numbers plus the Powerball and received $50,00zero. Of the ones tickets, 17 have been bought with the Power Play possibility, expanding the prize to $200,00zero, and 18 of the tickets have been bought in California, the place the prize used to be price $15,576 this drawing. By regulation, California awards all prizes on a pari-mutuel foundation, that means the prizes will alternate each and every drawing in response to the selection of tickets bought and the selection of tickets that received at each and every prize degree.
Following the Saturday drawing, the Powerball annuity jackpot estimate used to be raised $108.1 million from its earlier quantity of $541.nine million. The money worth used to be raised via $68.Five million from its earlier quantity of $343.2 million.
The subsequent Powerball drawing will happen Wednesday night time at 10:59 pm Eastern Time.
When a Powerball price ticket is bought with the Power Play possibility for an additional $1 in keeping with price ticket, any non-jackpot prize is larger in keeping with a hard and fast prize time table, which will also be discovered at the Powerball Drawing Detail web page at USA Mega, in addition to at the Powerball Prize Payouts web page at Lottery Post.
Powerball is now performed in 44 states, plus the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Drawings are Wednesdays and Saturdays at 10:59 p.m. Eastern Time. Tickets price $2 each and every.
Powerball lottery effects are printed inside of mins of the drawing at USA Mega (www.usamega.com). The USA Mega Web web page supplies lottery gamers in-depth details about the United States’s two largest multi-state lottery video games, Mega Millions and Powerball.
Top 25 United States lottery jackpots of all time
Wednesday’s Powerball jackpot lately stands because the Third-largest lottery jackpot of all time within the United States, and the 2d-largest Powerball jackpot ever. Brisk gross sales will most likely push the jackpot estimate upper via draw time.
If no one wins Wednesday, it is somebody’s bet how excessive it is going to pass.
- Powerball: $1.5864 billion, Jan. 13, 2016 – California, Florida, Tennessee
- Mega Millions: $656 million, Mar. 30, 2012 – Illinois, Kansas, Maryland
- Powerball: $650 million, Aug. 23, 2017 – Preliminary estimate, now not received but
- Mega Millions: $636 million, Dec. 17, 2013 – California, Georgia
- Powerball: $590.Five million, May 18, 2013 – Florida
- Powerball: $587.Five million, Nov. 28, 2012 – Arizona, Missouri
- Powerball: $564.1 million, Feb. 7, 2015 – North Carolina, Puerto Rico, Texas
- Mega Millions: $536 million, Jul. eight, 2016 – Indiana
- Powerball: $487 million, Jul. 30, 2016 – New Hampshire
- Powerball: $448.four million, Aug. 7, 2013 – Minnesota, New Jersey (2)
- Powerball: $447.eight million, Jun. 10, 2017 – California
- Powerball: $435.three million, Feb. 22, 2017 – Indiana
- Powerball: $429.6 million, May 7, 2016 – New Jersey
- Powerball: $425.three million, Feb. 19, 2014 – California
- Powerball: $420.nine million, Nov. 26, 2016 – Tennessee
- Mega Millions: $414 million, Mar. 18, 2014 – Florida, Maryland
- Powerball: $399.four million, Sep. 18, 2013 – South Carolina
- Mega Millions: $393 million, Aug. 11, 2017 – Illinois
- Mega Millions: $390 million, Mar. 6, 2007 – Georgia, New Jersey
- Mega Millions: $380 million, Jan. four, 2011 – Idaho, Washington
- Powerball: $365 million, Feb. 18, 2006 – Nebraska
- The Big Game: $363 million, May nine, 2000 – Illinois, Michigan
- Powerball: $340 million, Oct. 19, 2005 – Oregon
- Powerball: $338.three million, Mar. 23, 2013 – New Jersey
- Powerball: $337 million, Aug. 15, 2012 – Michigan
For the ones holding rating, the selection of jackpots within the most sensible 25, via lottery recreation, are:
- Powerball: 17
- Mega Millions: 7
- The Big Game: 1
The Big Game is the unique identify of Mega Millions, from the sport’s first drawing on Sep. 6, 1996 via May 14, 2002. The identify used to be modified to Mega Millions beginning with the May 17, 2002 drawing.
Top 25 money worth jackpots
Since many lottery winners gather their winnings in money, the lump-sum payout is the most important measure of what a successful price ticket may well be price.
Looking on the money worth, the impending Powerball jackpot ranks because the Third-largest money worth in U.S. historical past.
- Powerball: $983.Five million money, Jan. 13, 2016 ($1.5864 billion annuity) – California, Florida, Tennessee
- Mega Millions: $471 million money, Mar. 30, 2012 ($656 million annuity) – Illinois, Kansas, Maryland
- Powerball: $411.7 million money, Aug. 23, 2017 ($650 million annuity) – Preliminary estimate, now not received but
- Powerball: $384.7 million money, Nov. 28, 2012 ($587.Five million annuity) – Arizona, Missouri
- Powerball: $381.1 million money, Feb. 7, 2015 ($564.1 million annuity) – North Carolina, Puerto Rico, Texas
- Mega Millions: $378 million money, Jul. eight, 2016 ($536 million annuity) – Indiana
- Powerball: $370.nine million money, May 18, 2013 ($590.Five million annuity) – Florida
- Mega Millions: $347.6 million money, Dec. 17, 2013 ($636 million annuity) – California, Georgia
- Powerball: $336.eight million money, Jul. 30, 2016 ($487 million annuity) – New Hampshire
- Powerball: $284 million money, May 7, 2016 ($429.6 million annuity) – New Jersey
- Powerball: $279.1 million money, Jun. 10, 2017 ($447.eight million annuity) – California
- Powerball: $263.Five million money, Feb. 22, 2017 ($435.three million annuity) – Indiana
- Powerball: $258.2 million money, Aug. 7, 2013 ($448.four million annuity) – Minnesota, New Jersey (2)
- Powerball: $254.7 million money, Nov. 26, 2016 ($420.nine million annuity) – Tennessee
- Mega Millions: $246.Five million money, Aug. 11, 2017 ($393 million annuity) – Illinois
- Mega Millions: $240 million money, Jan. four, 2011 ($380 million annuity) – Idaho, Washington
- Mega Millions: $233.1 million money, Mar. 6, 2007 ($390 million annuity) – Georgia, New Jersey
- Mega Millions: $230.nine million money, Mar. 18, 2014 ($414 million annuity) – Florida, Maryland
- Powerball: $227.eight million money, Feb. 19, 2014 ($425.three million annuity) – California
- Powerball: $224.7 million money, Aug. 15, 2012 ($337 million annuity) – Michigan
- Powerball: $223.three million money, Sep. 18, 2013 ($399.four million annuity) – South Carolina
- Mega Millions: $214 million money, Aug. 28, 2009 ($336 million annuity) – California, New York
- Powerball: $211 million money, Mar. 23, 2013 ($338.three million annuity) – New Jersey
- Powerball: $210 million money, Feb. 11, 2012 ($336.four million annuity) – Rhode Island
- Mega Millions: $202.nine million money, Mar. 25, 2011 ($319 million annuity) – New York
The selection of jackpot money values within the most sensible 25, via lottery recreation, are:
- Powerball: 16
- Mega Millions: nine
Lottery Post Staff
We’d love to peer your feedback right here! Register for a FREE club — it takes only some moments — and you are able to submit feedback right here and on any of our boards. If you are already a member, you’ll be able to Log In to submit a remark.