$570 MILLION: Powerball sales surge prompts jackpot increase
Now the Seventh-biggest lottery jackpot in US historical past
Mega Millions additionally bumps up jackpot — to $450 million
By Todd Northrop
Due to greater than anticipated sales quantity, the Multi-State Lottery Association (MUSL) has raised the professional Powerball lottery jackpot estimate for Saturday’s drawing to $570 million.
The all-important lump-sum money price of the jackpot has been raised to $358.Five million.
The newly-increased jackpot quantity bumps the score of the Saturday drawing’s jackpot to the Seventh-largest ever recorded in United States lottery historical past. The money price nonetheless ranks because the Eighth-largest of all time. The top-25 annuity and money price jackpots are indexed underneath.
The Powerball drawing will probably be carried out Saturday night time at 10:59 pm Eastern Time (7:59 pm Pacific). The mammoth grand prize began at $40 million on Oct. 28, 2017, and is the results of 20 drawings without a jackpot winner.
After the Wednesday night Powerball drawing, when it was once made up our minds that there have been no jackpot winners, the brand new jackpot estimate for Saturday was once set at $550 million, with a money price of $347.nine million. The lottery units the preliminary estimates in response to what they conservatively imagine the price ticket sales will probably be previous to the following drawing. When it turns into transparent that precise price ticket sales are hugely outstripping the preliminary projections, the lotteries lift the jackpot estimate accordingly — as they did lately.
It is moderately imaginable that by the point the drawing happens the next day night time, the jackpot will probably be additional elevated. The ultimate jackpot tally is introduced all through the reside drawing display.
Separately, the state lotteries this morning have additionally elevated the quantity of this night’s Mega Millions jackpot to $450 million, with a money price of $281 million, making the mixed general of the Powerball and Mega Millions drawings this week $1.02 billion.
Lottery avid gamers in search of to test the profitable numbers Saturday night time are recommended to make use of USA Mega (www.usamega.com). State lottery web sites are typically delivered to a standstill all through busy sessions, whilst USA Mega typically stays responsive.
Players on the lookout for a close-by lottery store — or that out-of-the-way store with a smaller line — are inspired to make use of Lottery Places, an app for iOS, Android, and Windows that may find the closest lottery outlets in each jurisdiction that sells Powerball and Mega Millions. The useful app can find lottery shops within the United States, the United Kingdom, Mexico, a lot of Canada, and the Caribbean.
Powerball drawing effects will probably be posted instantly after the 10:59 pm drawing at USA Mega. The selection of winners and new jackpot will probably be introduced finally taking part Powerball states have reported their information, which typically happens inside a few hours after the drawing.
Players are prompt to not wait till the closing minute to shop for tickets, because the price ticket cutoff time varies between states.
The odds of profitable the jackpot are roughly 1 in 292 million. The odds of profitable any of the Powerball prizes are roughly 1 in 25.
Powerball tickets price $2 each and every.
Lottery avid gamers can see an after-tax research of the present Powerball jackpot by way of visiting USA Mega’s Jackpot Analysis web page.
Powerball options 9 other prize ranges, starting from $four all of the means as much as the jackpot. Players can win even supposing they simply fit one quantity — the Powerball quantity.
All states with the exception of California additionally be offering the Power Play choice for an additional $1 in keeping with price ticket bought. The Power Play multiplies any non-jackpot prizes gained by way of the Power Play quantity drawn that night.
Players who acquire the Power Play and win 2nd prize will mechanically have their prize elevated by way of 2x to $2 million.
Top 25 United States lottery jackpots of all time
Saturday’s Powerball jackpot these days stands because the Seventh-largest lottery jackpot of all time within the United States, and the Fifth-largest Powerball jackpot ever. Brisk sales will nearly indubitably push the jackpot estimate upper by way of draw time.
- Powerball: $1.5864 billion, Jan. 13, 2016 – California, Florida, Tennessee
- Powerball: $758.7 million, Aug. 23, 2017 – Massachusetts
- Mega Millions: $656 million, Mar. 30, 2012 – Illinois, Kansas, Maryland
- Mega Millions: $636 million, Dec. 17, 2013 – California, Georgia
- Powerball: $590.Five million, May 18, 2013 – Florida
- Powerball: $587.Five million, Nov. 28, 2012 – Arizona, Missouri
- Powerball: $570 million, Jan. 6, 2018 – Initial estimate, no longer gained but
- Powerball: $564.1 million, Feb. 7, 2015 – North Carolina, Puerto Rico, Texas
- Mega Millions: $536 million, Jul. eight, 2016 – Indiana
- Powerball: $487 million, Jul. 30, 2016 – New Hampshire
- Mega Millions: $450 million, Jan. Five, 2018 – Initial estimate, no longer gained but
- Powerball: $448.four million, Aug. 7, 2013 – Minnesota, New Jersey (2)
- Powerball: $447.eight million, Jun. 10, 2017 – California
- Powerball: $435.three million, Feb. 22, 2017 – Indiana
- Powerball: $429.6 million, May 7, 2016 – New Jersey
- Powerball: $425.three million, Feb. 19, 2014 – California
- Powerball: $420.nine million, Nov. 26, 2016 – Tennessee
- Mega Millions: $414 million, Mar. 18, 2014 – Florida, Maryland
- Powerball: $399.four million, Sep. 18, 2013 – South Carolina
- Mega Millions: $393 million, Aug. 11, 2017 – Illinois
- Mega Millions: $390 million, Mar. 6, 2007 – Georgia, New Jersey
- Mega Millions: $380 million, Jan. four, 2011 – Idaho, Washington
- Powerball: $365 million, Feb. 18, 2006 – Nebraska
- The Big Game: $363 million, May nine, 2000 – Illinois, Michigan
- Powerball: $340 million, Oct. 19, 2005 – Oregon
The selection of jackpots within the peak 25, by way of lottery recreation, are:
- Powerball: 16
- Mega Millions: eight
- The Big Game: 1
The Big Game is the unique title of Mega Millions, from the sport’s first drawing on Sep. 6, 1996 thru May 14, 2002. The title was once modified to Mega Millions beginning with the May 17, 2002 drawing.
Top 25 money price jackpots
Since many lottery winners acquire their winnings in money, the lump-sum payout is a very powerful measure of what a profitable price ticket may well be price.
Looking on the money price, the impending Powerball jackpot ranks because the Eighth-largest money price in U.S. historical past.
- Powerball: $983.Five million money, Jan. 13, 2016 ($1.5864 billion annuity) – California, Florida, Tennessee
- Powerball: $480.Five million money, Aug. 23, 2017 ($758.7 million annuity) – Massachusetts
- Mega Millions: $471 million money, Mar. 30, 2012 ($656 million annuity) – Illinois, Kansas, Maryland
- Powerball: $384.7 million money, Nov. 28, 2012 ($587.Five million annuity) – Arizona, Missouri
- Powerball: $381.1 million money, Feb. 7, 2015 ($564.1 million annuity) – North Carolina, Puerto Rico, Texas
- Mega Millions: $378 million money, Jul. eight, 2016 ($536 million annuity) – Indiana
- Powerball: $370.nine million money, May 18, 2013 ($590.Five million annuity) – Florida
- Powerball: $358.Five million money, Jan. 6, 2018 ($570 million annuity) – Initial estimate, no longer gained but
- Mega Millions: $347.6 million money, Dec. 17, 2013 ($636 million annuity) – California, Georgia
- Powerball: $336.eight million money, Jul. 30, 2016 ($487 million annuity) – New Hampshire
- Powerball: $284 million money, May 7, 2016 ($429.6 million annuity) – New Jersey
- Mega Millions: $281 million money, Jan. Five, 2018 ($450 million annuity) – Initial estimate, no longer gained but
- Powerball: $279.1 million money, Jun. 10, 2017 ($447.eight million annuity) – California
- Powerball: $263.Five million money, Feb. 22, 2017 ($435.three million annuity) – Indiana
- Powerball: $258.2 million money, Aug. 7, 2013 ($448.four million annuity) – Minnesota, New Jersey (2)
- Powerball: $254.7 million money, Nov. 26, 2016 ($420.nine million annuity) – Tennessee
- Mega Millions: $246.Five million money, Aug. 11, 2017 ($393 million annuity) – Illinois
- Mega Millions: $240 million money, Jan. four, 2011 ($380 million annuity) – Idaho, Washington
- Mega Millions: $233.1 million money, Mar. 6, 2007 ($390 million annuity) – Georgia, New Jersey
- Mega Millions: $230.nine million money, Mar. 18, 2014 ($414 million annuity) – Florida, Maryland
- Powerball: $227.eight million money, Feb. 19, 2014 ($425.three million annuity) – California
- Powerball: $224.7 million money, Aug. 15, 2012 ($337 million annuity) – Michigan
- Powerball: $223.three million money, Sep. 18, 2013 ($399.four million annuity) – South Carolina
- Mega Millions: $214 million money, Aug. 28, 2009 ($336 million annuity) – California, New York
- Powerball: $211 million money, Mar. 23, 2013 ($338.three million annuity) – New Jersey
The selection of jackpot money values within the peak 25, by way of lottery recreation, are:
- Powerball: 16
- Mega Millions: nine
Lottery Post Staff
We’d love to peer your feedback right here! Register for a FREE club — it takes only a few moments — and you are able to publish feedback right here and on any of our boards. If you are already a member, you’ll be able to Log In to publish a remark.