$535 MILLION: Huge Powerball sales sparks early jackpot increase
Eighth-biggest lottery jackpot in US historical past
By Todd Northrop
Due to bigger than anticipated sales quantity, the Multi-State Lottery Association (MUSL) has raised the reputable Powerball lottery jackpot estimate for Saturday’s drawing to $535 million.
The all-important lump-sum money worth of the jackpot has been raised to $340.1 million.
The newly-increased annuity and money worth jackpot quantities are each the Eighth-largest ever recorded in United States lottery historical past. The top-25 annuity and money worth jackpots are indexed beneath.
“With a jackpot above the half-billion dollar mark, Powerball tickets are selling like solar eclipse glasses — but tickets are much easier to find in stores,” stated Pennsylvania Lottery Executive Director Drew Svitko, who famous that that is the sport’s greatest jackpot because the run-up to the world-record jackpot in early 2016. That historical prize totaled just about $1.6 billion.
The Powerball drawing will likely be performed Saturday night time at 10:59 pm Eastern Time (7:59 pm Pacific). The mammoth grand prize began at $40 million on Jun. 14, 2017, and is the results of 19 drawings with no jackpot winner.
After the Wednesday night time Powerball drawing, when it was once decided that there have been no jackpot winners, the brand new jackpot estimate for Saturday was once set at $510 million, with a money worth of $324.2 million. The lottery units the preliminary estimates according to what they conservatively consider the price tag sales will likely be previous to the following drawing. When it turns into transparent that precise price tag sales are massively outstripping the preliminary projections, the lotteries elevate the jackpot estimate accordingly — as they did these days.
It is slightly conceivable that by the point the drawing happens day after today night time, the jackpot will likely be additional elevated. The ultimate jackpot tally is introduced all over the are living drawing display.
Lottery gamers in the hunt for to test the successful numbers Saturday night time are instructed to make use of USA Mega (www.usamega.com). State lottery web pages are typically delivered to a standstill all over busy sessions, whilst USA Mega typically stays responsive.
Powerball drawing effects will likely be posted in an instant after the 10:59 pm drawing at USA Mega. The choice of winners and new jackpot will likely be introduced finally taking part Powerball states have reported their knowledge, which typically happens inside a few hours after the drawing.
Players are steered to not wait till the closing minute to shop for tickets, because the price tag cutoff time varies between states.
The odds of successful the jackpot are roughly 1 in 292 million. The odds of successful any of the Powerball prizes are roughly 1 in 25.
Powerball tickets value $2 each and every.
Lottery gamers can see an after-tax research of the present Powerball jackpot by way of visiting USA Mega’s Jackpot Analysis web page.
Powerball options 9 other prize ranges, starting from $four all of the means as much as the jackpot. Players can win despite the fact that they simply fit one quantity — the Powerball quantity.
All states with the exception of California additionally be offering the Power Play choice for an additional $1 in line with price tag bought. The Power Play multiplies any non-jackpot prizes gained by way of the Power Play quantity drawn that night time.
Players who acquire the Power Play and win 2d prize will mechanically have their prize elevated by way of 2x to $2 million.
Top 25 United States lottery jackpots of all time
Saturday’s Powerball jackpot recently stands because the Eighth-largest lottery jackpot of all time within the United States, and the Fifth-largest Powerball jackpot ever. Brisk sales will nearly no doubt push the jackpot estimate upper by way of draw time.
- Powerball: $1.5864 billion, Jan. 13, 2016 – California, Florida, Tennessee
- Mega Millions: $656 million, Mar. 30, 2012 – Illinois, Kansas, Maryland
- Mega Millions: $636 million, Dec. 17, 2013 – California, Georgia
- Powerball: $590.Five million, May 18, 2013 – Florida
- Powerball: $587.Five million, Nov. 28, 2012 – Arizona, Missouri
- Powerball: $564.1 million, Feb. 7, 2015 – North Carolina, Puerto Rico, Texas
- Mega Millions: $536 million, Jul. eight, 2016 – Indiana
- Powerball: $535 million, Aug. 19, 2017 – Preliminary estimate, now not gained but
- Powerball: $487 million, Jul. 30, 2016 – New Hampshire
- Powerball: $448.four million, Aug. 7, 2013 – Minnesota, New Jersey (2)
- Powerball: $447.eight million, Jun. 10, 2017 – California
- Powerball: $435.three million, Feb. 22, 2017 – Indiana
- Powerball: $429.6 million, May 7, 2016 – New Jersey
- Powerball: $425.three million, Feb. 19, 2014 – California
- Powerball: $420.nine million, Nov. 26, 2016 – Tennessee
- Mega Millions: $414 million, Mar. 18, 2014 – Florida, Maryland
- Powerball: $399.four million, Sep. 18, 2013 – South Carolina
- Mega Millions: $393 million, Aug. 11, 2017 – Illinois
- Mega Millions: $390 million, Mar. 6, 2007 – Georgia, New Jersey
- Mega Millions: $380 million, Jan. four, 2011 – Idaho, Washington
- Powerball: $365 million, Feb. 18, 2006 – Nebraska
- The Big Game: $363 million, May nine, 2000 – Illinois, Michigan
- Powerball: $340 million, Oct. 19, 2005 – Oregon
- Powerball: $338.three million, Mar. 23, 2013 – New Jersey
- Powerball: $337 million, Aug. 15, 2012 – Michigan
The choice of jackpots within the peak 25, by way of lottery sport, are:
- Powerball: 17
- Mega Millions: 7
- The Big Game: 1
The Big Game is the unique title of Mega Millions, from the sport’s first drawing on Sep. 6, 1996 thru May 14, 2002. The title was once modified to Mega Millions beginning with the May 17, 2002 drawing.
Top 25 money worth jackpots
Since many lottery winners accumulate their winnings in money, the lump-sum payout is crucial measure of what a successful price tag may well be value.
Looking on the money worth, the approaching Powerball jackpot ranks because the Eighth-largest money worth in U.S. historical past.
- Powerball: $983.Five million money, Jan. 13, 2016 ($1.5864 billion annuity) – California, Florida, Tennessee
- Mega Millions: $471 million money, Mar. 30, 2012 ($656 million annuity) – Illinois, Kansas, Maryland
- Powerball: $384.7 million money, Nov. 28, 2012 ($587.Five million annuity) – Arizona, Missouri
- Powerball: $381.1 million money, Feb. 7, 2015 ($564.1 million annuity) – North Carolina, Puerto Rico, Texas
- Mega Millions: $378 million money, Jul. eight, 2016 ($536 million annuity) – Indiana
- Powerball: $370.nine million money, May 18, 2013 ($590.Five million annuity) – Florida
- Mega Millions: $347.6 million money, Dec. 17, 2013 ($636 million annuity) – California, Georgia
- Powerball: $340.1 million money, Aug. 19, 2017 ($535 million annuity) – Preliminary estimate, now not gained but
- Powerball: $336.eight million money, Jul. 30, 2016 ($487 million annuity) – New Hampshire
- Powerball: $284 million money, May 7, 2016 ($429.6 million annuity) – New Jersey
- Powerball: $279.1 million money, Jun. 10, 2017 ($447.eight million annuity) – California
- Powerball: $263.Five million money, Feb. 22, 2017 ($435.three million annuity) – Indiana
- Powerball: $258.2 million money, Aug. 7, 2013 ($448.four million annuity) – Minnesota, New Jersey (2)
- Powerball: $254.7 million money, Nov. 26, 2016 ($420.nine million annuity) – Tennessee
- Mega Millions: $246.Five million money, Aug. 11, 2017 ($393 million annuity) – Illinois
- Mega Millions: $240 million money, Jan. four, 2011 ($380 million annuity) – Idaho, Washington
- Mega Millions: $233.1 million money, Mar. 6, 2007 ($390 million annuity) – Georgia, New Jersey
- Mega Millions: $230.nine million money, Mar. 18, 2014 ($414 million annuity) – Florida, Maryland
- Powerball: $227.eight million money, Feb. 19, 2014 ($425.three million annuity) – California
- Powerball: $224.7 million money, Aug. 15, 2012 ($337 million annuity) – Michigan
- Powerball: $223.three million money, Sep. 18, 2013 ($399.four million annuity) – South Carolina
- Mega Millions: $214 million money, Aug. 28, 2009 ($336 million annuity) – California, New York
- Powerball: $211 million money, Mar. 23, 2013 ($338.three million annuity) – New Jersey
- Powerball: $210 million money, Feb. 11, 2012 ($336.four million annuity) – Rhode Island
- Mega Millions: $202.nine million money, Mar. 25, 2011 ($319 million annuity) – New York
The choice of jackpot money values within the peak 25, by way of lottery sport, are:
- Powerball: 16
- Mega Millions: nine
(Click to show full-size in gallery)
Lottery Post Staff
We’d love to peer your feedback right here! Register for a FREE club — it takes only a few moments — and you are able to put up feedback right here and on any of our boards. If you might be already a member, you’ll be able to Log In to put up a remark.