$510 MILLION: Powerball lottery jackpot soars into top 10
Eighth-largest US jackpot ever
By Todd Northrop
August has been a scorching month for lottery jackpot chasers, with each Mega Millions and Powerball concurrently attaining huge ranges. Even even though Mega Millions has been received, Powerball continues to roll, now surpassing the half-billion buck mark.
Between now and Saturday night, somebody can stroll into a shop and purchase a lottery price ticket for a few dollars that has the opportunity of profitable $510 million — which might rather in all probability be a lot upper by the point the Powerball drawing kicks off Saturday evening.
Seasoned lottery gamers regulate the lump-sum money price of the jackpot, and the preliminary estimate is simply as eye-popping: $324.2 million. And more likely to develop even larger sooner than Saturday.
When when compared in opposition to all lottery drawings performed in United States lottery historical past, Saturday‘s Powerball jackpot ranks Eighth all-time, and the money price ranks as ninth amongst all money values in historical past. (See the top 25 United States annuity and money price jackpots under.)
Of route, the large winner (or winners) must pay taxes on their prize, so USA Mega has a to hand Jackpot Analysis web page to be had to calculate the federal and state taxes that will be withheld upon the award of your great giant jackpot.
This is the biggest US lottery jackpot since an Indiana circle of relatives claimed a $536 million Mega Millions lottery jackpot in July 2016. The remaining Powerball jackpot attaining this top was once the world-record checklist $1.6 billion grand prize awarded in the January 13, 2016, drawing. Three profitable tickets from California, Florida, and Tennessee break up the unparalleled jackpot.
Saturday’s mammoth jackpot is the results of 19 consecutive attracts and not using a winner. The run-up began as a $40 million prize on June 14.
The profitable numbers for Wednesday, August 16, 2017 had been nine, 15, 43, 60, and 64, with Powerball quantity four. The Power Play quantity was once three.
Even even though no one received the jackpot Wednesday, three fortunate gamers matched the primary Five numbers for a $1,00zero,00zero prize: 1 from California, 1 from Florida, and 1 from Texas.
Only one of the crucial second-prize winners bought the Power Play choice — the price ticket bought in Texas. Because that price ticket was once bought with the Power Play choice their second-prize win is mechanically doubled to $2 million. Power Play isn’t to be had in California, for the reason that fastened nature of the prize building up introduced in Power Play isn’t appropriate with California’s pari-mutuel payouts. By legislation, California awards all prizes on a pari-mutuel foundation, that means the prizes will exchange each and every drawing according to the choice of tickets bought and the choice of tickets that received at each and every prize degree.
93 tickets matched 4 white numbers plus the Powerball and received $50,00zero. Of the ones tickets, 15 had been bought with the Power Play choice, expanding the prize to $150,00zero, and 14 of the tickets had been bought in California, the place the prize was once price $11,120 this drawing.
Following the Wednesday drawing, the Powerball annuity jackpot estimate was once raised a whopping $77.Five million from its earlier quantity of $432.Five million and the money price was once raised by way of $49.2 million from its earlier quantity of $275 million.
The subsequent Powerball drawing will happen Saturday evening at 10:59 pm Eastern Time.
When a Powerball price ticket is bought with the Power Play choice for an additional $1 consistent with price ticket, any non-jackpot prize is higher in line with a hard and fast prize time table, which can also be discovered at the Powerball Drawing Detail web page at USA Mega, in addition to at the Powerball Prize Payouts web page at Lottery Post.
Powerball is performed in 44 states, plus the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Drawings are Wednesdays and Saturdays at 10:59 p.m. Eastern Time. Tickets value $2 each and every.
Powerball lottery effects are printed inside of mins of the drawing at USA Mega (www.usamega.com). The USA Mega Web website supplies lottery gamers in-depth details about the United States’s two largest multi-state lottery video games, Mega Millions and Powerball.
Top 25 United States lottery jackpots of all time
Saturday’s Powerball jackpot these days stands because the Eighth-largest lottery jackpot of all time within the United States, and the Fifth-largest Powerball jackpot ever. Brisk gross sales will virtually definitely push the jackpot estimate upper by way of draw time.
- Powerball: $1.5864 billion, Jan. 13, 2016 – California, Florida, Tennessee
- Mega Millions: $656 million, Mar. 30, 2012 – Illinois, Kansas, Maryland
- Mega Millions: $636 million, Dec. 17, 2013 – California, Georgia
- Powerball: $590.Five million, May 18, 2013 – Florida
- Powerball: $587.Five million, Nov. 28, 2012 – Arizona, Missouri
- Powerball: $564.1 million, Feb. 7, 2015 – North Carolina, Puerto Rico, Texas
- Mega Millions: $536 million, Jul. eight, 2016 – Indiana
- Powerball: $510 million, Aug. 19, 2017 – Preliminary estimate, now not received but
- Powerball: $487 million, Jul. 30, 2016 – New Hampshire
- Powerball: $448.four million, Aug. 7, 2013 – Minnesota, New Jersey (2)
- Powerball: $447.eight million, Jun. 10, 2017 – California
- Powerball: $435.three million, Feb. 22, 2017 – Indiana
- Powerball: $429.6 million, May 7, 2016 – New Jersey
- Powerball: $425.three million, Feb. 19, 2014 – California
- Powerball: $420.nine million, Nov. 26, 2016 – Tennessee
- Mega Millions: $414 million, Mar. 18, 2014 – Florida, Maryland
- Powerball: $399.four million, Sep. 18, 2013 – South Carolina
- Mega Millions: $393 million, Aug. 11, 2017 – Illinois
- Mega Millions: $390 million, Mar. 6, 2007 – Georgia, New Jersey
- Mega Millions: $380 million, Jan. four, 2011 – Idaho, Washington
- Powerball: $365 million, Feb. 18, 2006 – Nebraska
- The Big Game: $363 million, May nine, 2000 – Illinois, Michigan
- Powerball: $340 million, Oct. 19, 2005 – Oregon
- Powerball: $338.three million, Mar. 23, 2013 – New Jersey
- Powerball: $337 million, Aug. 15, 2012 – Michigan
The choice of jackpots within the top 25, by way of lottery recreation, are:
- Powerball: 17
- Mega Millions: 7
- The Big Game: 1
The Big Game is the unique title of Mega Millions, from the sport’s first drawing on Sep. 6, 1996 via May 14, 2002. The title was once modified to Mega Millions beginning with the May 17, 2002 drawing.
Top 25 money price jackpots
Since many lottery winners gather their winnings in money, the lump-sum payout is a very powerful measure of what a profitable price ticket may well be price.
Looking on the money price, the impending Powerball jackpot ranks because the Eighth-largest money price in U.S. historical past.
- Powerball: $983.Five million money, Jan. 13, 2016 ($1.5864 billion annuity) – California, Florida, Tennessee
- Mega Millions: $471 million money, Mar. 30, 2012 ($656 million annuity) – Illinois, Kansas, Maryland
- Powerball: $384.7 million money, Nov. 28, 2012 ($587.Five million annuity) – Arizona, Missouri
- Powerball: $381.1 million money, Feb. 7, 2015 ($564.1 million annuity) – North Carolina, Puerto Rico, Texas
- Mega Millions: $378 million money, Jul. eight, 2016 ($536 million annuity) – Indiana
- Powerball: $370.nine million money, May 18, 2013 ($590.Five million annuity) – Florida
- Mega Millions: $347.6 million money, Dec. 17, 2013 ($636 million annuity) – California, Georgia
- Powerball: $336.eight million money, Jul. 30, 2016 ($487 million annuity) – New Hampshire
- Powerball: $324.2 million money, Aug. 19, 2017 ($510 million annuity) – Preliminary estimate, now not received but
- Powerball: $284 million money, May 7, 2016 ($429.6 million annuity) – New Jersey
- Powerball: $279.1 million money, Jun. 10, 2017 ($447.eight million annuity) – California
- Powerball: $263.Five million money, Feb. 22, 2017 ($435.three million annuity) – Indiana
- Powerball: $258.2 million money, Aug. 7, 2013 ($448.four million annuity) – Minnesota, New Jersey (2)
- Powerball: $254.7 million money, Nov. 26, 2016 ($420.nine million annuity) – Tennessee
- Mega Millions: $246.Five million money, Aug. 11, 2017 ($393 million annuity) – Illinois
- Mega Millions: $240 million money, Jan. four, 2011 ($380 million annuity) – Idaho, Washington
- Mega Millions: $233.1 million money, Mar. 6, 2007 ($390 million annuity) – Georgia, New Jersey
- Mega Millions: $230.nine million money, Mar. 18, 2014 ($414 million annuity) – Florida, Maryland
- Powerball: $227.eight million money, Feb. 19, 2014 ($425.three million annuity) – California
- Powerball: $224.7 million money, Aug. 15, 2012 ($337 million annuity) – Michigan
- Powerball: $223.three million money, Sep. 18, 2013 ($399.four million annuity) – South Carolina
- Mega Millions: $214 million money, Aug. 28, 2009 ($336 million annuity) – California, New York
- Powerball: $211 million money, Mar. 23, 2013 ($338.three million annuity) – New Jersey
- Powerball: $210 million money, Feb. 11, 2012 ($336.four million annuity) – Rhode Island
- Mega Millions: $202.nine million money, Mar. 25, 2011 ($319 million annuity) – New York
The choice of jackpot money values within the top 25, by way of lottery recreation, are:
- Powerball: 16
- Mega Millions: nine
Lottery Post Staff
We’d love to look your feedback right here! Register for a FREE club — it takes only a few moments — and you are able to submit feedback right here and on any of our boards. If you might be already a member, you’ll be able to Log In to submit a remark.