$495 MILLION: Powerball lottery jackpot climbs, awaits its first winner of 2019
By Todd Northrop
Two and a half of months into 2019, we nonetheless would not have a Powerball jackpot winner.
But it is not for an absence of attempting: The multi-state lottery recreation now includes a jackpot value a half-billion bucks.
The remaining particular person to win the sport was once David Johnson, a Brooklyn, New York truck driving force, who claimed a $298.three million jackpot from the Dec. 26, 2018 drawing.
After that drawing, the Powerball jackpot reset to $40 million and endured to rollover for 22 consecutive drawings, development it as much as the huge $495 million grand prize set for this Saturday evening.
The lump-sum money choice is a staggering $300.2 million.
It’s the biggest Powerball jackpot since Oct. 27, 2018, when a $687.eight Million Powerball jackpot was once cut up by way of two tickets bought in Iowa and New York. The Iowa winner from a unmarried mother from Redfield, Iowa, who came about to shop for a price ticket as she was once choosing up a slice of pizza and low at a neighborhood retailer. The New York winner is a retired federal govt worker who received after enjoying the similar six lottery numbers for 25 years.
The annuity and money jackpot values are the 14th- and 15th-largest quantities, respectively, ever recorded in US lottery historical past. (See most sensible 25 annuity and money values under.)
Players having a look to calculate what they’d obtain after the preliminary federal and state tax withholdings can to find all of it pre-calculated for each and every Powerball jurisdiction at the Jackpot Analysis web page at USA Mega, a internet web page dedicated to the Powerball and Mega Millions multi-state lottery video games.
The biggest Powerball jackpot ever awarded was once on January 13, 2016, when 3 tickets from California, Florida, and Tennessee shared a $1.6 billion grand prize. The Florida and Tennessee winners claimed their prizes briefly, however the California winner waited about six months to assert their percentage.
The successful numbers for Wednesday, Mar. 13, 2019 have been 18, 36, 45, 47, and 69, with Powerball quantity 14. The Power Play quantity was once three.
Even although no one received the jackpot Wednesday, three fortunate gamers matched the first Five numbers for a $1,00zero,00zero prize: 1 from Florida and a couple of from New York.
Only the price ticket bought in Florida was once bought with the Power Play choice, doubling their prize to $2 million.
Power Play isn’t to be had in California, for the reason that fastened nature of the prize building up presented in Power Play isn’t suitable with California’s pari-mutuel payouts. By regulation, California awards all prizes on a pari-mutuel foundation, which means the prizes will alternate each and every drawing in line with the quantity of tickets bought and the quantity of tickets that received at each and every prize degree.
The California prize pool for moment prize was once a whopping $2,240,087 this drawing. Because no one received moment prize in California, that money will roll into Saturday’s drawing and building up into a bigger prize, based totally upon the quantity of gross sales recorded this week — growing a type of secondary jackpot ready to be received by way of a California participant.
Across the country, 30 tickets matched 4 white numbers plus the Powerball and received $50,00zero. Of the ones tickets, eight have been bought with the Power Play choice, expanding the prize to $150,00zero, and eight of the tickets have been bought in California, the place the prize was once value $12,722 this drawing.
Following the Wednesday drawing, the Powerball annuity jackpot estimate was once raised $46.eight million from its earlier quantity of $448.2 million. The money price was once raised by way of $28.Five million from its earlier quantity of $271.7 million.
The subsequent Powerball drawing will happen Saturday evening at 10:59 pm Eastern Time.
When a Powerball price ticket is bought with the Power Play choice for an additional $1 consistent with price ticket, second-prize winners have their prizes routinely doubled to $2 million, whilst all different non-jackpot prizes are multiplied by way of the Power Play quantity drawn that night time. All prize payout quantities, together with Power Play multipied prizes, can also be discovered at the Powerball Drawing Detail web page at USA Mega, in addition to at the Powerball Prize Payouts web page at Lottery Post.
Powerball is performed in 44 states, plus the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Drawings are Wednesdays and Saturdays at 10:59 p.m. Eastern Time. Tickets value $2 each and every.
Powerball lottery effects are revealed inside of mins of the drawing at USA Mega (www.usamega.com). The USA Mega Web web page supplies lottery gamers in-depth details about the United States’s two greatest multi-state lottery video games, Mega Millions and Powerball.
Top 25 United States lottery jackpots of all time
Saturday’s Powerball jackpot these days stands because the 14th-largest lottery jackpot of all time within the United States. That place would possibly upward push sooner than the drawing, as lotteries are normally conservative of their preliminary estimates, and brisk gross sales would possibly push the jackpot estimate upper by way of draw time.
- Powerball: $1.5864 billion, Jan. 13, 2016 – California, Florida, Tennessee
- Mega Millions: $1.537 billion, Oct. 23, 2018 – South Carolina
- Powerball: $758.7 million, Aug. 23, 2017 – Massachusetts
- Powerball: $687.eight million, Oct. 27, 2007 – Iowa, New York
- Mega Millions: $656 million, Mar. 30, 2012 – Illinois, Kansas, Maryland
- Mega Millions: $636 million, Dec. 17, 2013 – California, Georgia
- Powerball: $590.Five million, May 18, 2013 – Florida
- Powerball: $587.Five million, Nov. 28, 2012 – Arizona, Missouri
- Powerball: $564.1 million, Feb. 7, 2015 – North Carolina, Puerto Rico, Texas
- Powerball: $559.7 million, Jan. 6, 2018 – New Hampshire
- Mega Millions: $543 million, Jul. 24, 2018 – California
- Mega Millions: $536 million, Jul. eight, 2016 – Indiana
- Mega Millions: $533 million, Mar. 30, 2018 – New Jersey
- Powerball: $495 million, Mar. 16, 2019 – Preliminary estimate, now not received but
- Powerball: $487 million, Jul. 30, 2016 – New Hampshire
- Powerball: $456.7 million, Mar. 17, 2018 – Pennsylvania
- Mega Millions: $451 million, Jan. Five, 2018 – Florida
- Powerball: $448.four million, Aug. 7, 2013 – Minnesota, New Jersey (2)
- Powerball: $447.eight million, Jun. 10, 2017 – California
- Powerball: $435.three million, Feb. 22, 2017 – Indiana
- Powerball: $429.6 million, May 7, 2016 – New Jersey
- Powerball: $425.three million, Feb. 19, 2014 – California
- Mega Millions: $425 million, Jan. 1, 2019 – New York
- Powerball: $420.nine million, Nov. 26, 2016 – Tennessee
- Mega Millions: $414 million, Mar. 18, 2014 – Florida, Maryland
The quantity of jackpots within the most sensible 25, by way of lottery recreation, are:
- Powerball: 16
- Mega Millions: nine
Top 25 money price jackpots
Since many lottery winners gather their winnings in money, the lump-sum payout is a very powerful measure of what a successful price ticket might be value.
The upcoming Powerball jackpot ranks because the 15th-largest money price in U.S. historical past.
- Powerball: $983.Five million money, Jan. 13, 2016 ($1.5864 billion annuity) – California, Florida, Tennessee
- Mega Millions: $877.eight million money, Oct. 23, 2018 ($1.537 billion annuity) – South Carolina
- Powerball: $480.Five million money, Aug. 23, 2017 ($758.7 million annuity) – Massachusetts
- Mega Millions: $471 million money, Mar. 30, 2012 ($656 million annuity) – Illinois, Kansas, Maryland
- Powerball: $396.2 million money, Oct. 27, 2018 ($687.eight million annuity) – Iowa, New York
- Powerball: $384.7 million money, Nov. 28, 2012 ($587.Five million annuity) – Arizona, Missouri
- Powerball: $381.1 million money, Feb. 7, 2015 ($564.1 million annuity) – North Carolina, Puerto Rico, Texas
- Mega Millions: $378 million money, Jul. eight, 2016 ($536 million annuity) – Indiana
- Powerball: $370.nine million money, May 18, 2013 ($590.Five million annuity) – Florida
- Powerball: $352 million money, Jan. 6, 2018 ($559.7 million annuity) – New Hampshire
- Mega Millions: $347.6 million money, Dec. 17, 2013 ($636 million annuity) – California, Georgia
- Powerball: $336.eight million money, Jul. 30, 2016 ($487 million annuity) – New Hampshire
- Mega Millions: $324 million money, Mar. 30, 2018 ($533 million annuity) – New Jersey
- Mega Millions: $320.Five million money, Jul. 24, 2018 ($543 million annuity) – California
- Powerball: $300.2 million money, Mar. 16, 2019 ($495 million annuity) – Preliminary estimate, now not received but
- Powerball: $284 million money, May 7, 2016 ($429.6 million annuity) – New Jersey
- Mega Millions: $281.nine million money, Jan. Five, 2018 ($451 million annuity) – Florida
- Powerball: $279.1 million money, Jun. 10, 2017 ($447.eight million annuity) – California
- Powerball: $273.nine million money, Mar. 17, 2018 ($456.7 million annuity) – Pennsylvania
- Powerball: $263.Five million money, Feb. 22, 2017 ($435.three million annuity) – Indiana
- Powerball: $258.2 million money, Aug. 7, 2013 ($448.four million annuity) – Minnesota, New Jersey (2)
- Powerball: $254.7 million money, Nov. 26, 2016 ($420.nine million annuity) – Tennessee
- Mega Millions: $254.6 million money, Jan. 1, 2019 ($425 million annuity) – New York
- Mega Millions: $246.Five million money, Aug. 11, 2017 ($393 million annuity) – Illinois
- Mega Millions: $240 million money, Jan. four, 2011 ($380 million annuity) – Idaho, Washington
The quantity of jackpot money values within the most sensible 25, by way of lottery recreation, are:
- Powerball: 15
- Mega Millions: 10
Lottery Post Staff
We’d love to look your feedback right here! Register for a FREE club — it takes only a few moments — and you are able to submit feedback right here and on any of our boards. If you are already a member, you’ll be able to Log In to submit a remark.