$458M Mega Millions lottery jackpot is game’s 4th-largest ever
By Todd Northrop
Lottery gamers around the United States shall be lining up at lottery shops for his or her likelihood to win Tuesday’s huge $458 million Mega Millions jackpot, after no one gained Friday’s $421 million grand prize.
The money price stands at a staggering $274 million.
Tuesday’s $458 million annuity jackpot is the 11th-largest United States lottery jackpots of all time, and the 4th-largest in Mega Millions recreation historical past. The money price is the 14th-largest in historical past. (See complete top-25 listing under.)
This specific Mega Millions jackpot is a bittersweet milestone for the top-25 listing, because it squeezes the general top-25 jackpot of The Big Game out of the listing. That jackpot used to be a $363 million grand prize gained by way of two tickets from Illinois and Michigan on May nine, 2000. It used to be a ground-breaking jackpot on the time — the primary nation-wide price tag purchasing frenzy, and the development that necessarily introduced the unique BigGameLottery.com site, now referred to as USA Mega.
The present jackpot has been gathering for 22 consecutive drawings with no winner. It began on Jan. nine as a $40 million grand prize.
Players will have to observe that jackpot quantities are conservative estimates equipped by way of the lotteries, and are incessantly reasonably upper by the point the drawing happens.
In the most recent Mega Millions drawing that happened this previous Friday night time, there used to be no jackpot winner, however 2 fortunate gamers matched the primary Five numbers for a second-prize win. For one ticket-holder from Texas it is a $1,00zero,00zero payout, however for the opposite second-prize winner from California it is going to quantity to a whopping $three,238,814 prize.
The distinction in payouts for the second-prize winners is because of California’s regulation requiring all lottery payouts to be awarded on a pari-mutuel foundation, which means the prizes will exchange each and every drawing according to the selection of tickets offered and the selection of tickets that gained at each and every prize degree. Sometimes that implies a smaller prize than all of the different states, particularly if there are lots of California winners, however on this case with a unmarried second-prize winner shape the state, the only price tag is awarded the whole sum of money allotted for the second one prize.
A complete of 30 tickets matched 4 of the primary 5 numbers plus the Mega Ball to win a $10,00zero prize. Of the ones tickets, 6 had been bought with the Megaplier choice, expanding the prize to $30,00zero, and four had been offered in California, the place the prize awarded this drawing is $11,377.
The Mega Millions successful numbers for Friday, March 23, 2018, had been four, eight, 23, 53, and 59, with Mega Ball quantity 17. The Megaplier quantity used to be three.
Following the Friday drawing, the Mega Millions annuity jackpot estimate used to be raised $37 million from its earlier quantity of $421 million. The money price used to be raised by way of $24 million, from its earlier quantity of $250 million.
Mega Millions is recently presented on the market in 44 states, plus Washington, D.C. and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Drawings are Tuesdays and Fridays at 11:00 pm Eastern Time. Tickets price $2 each and every.
The Mega Millions successful numbers are printed at USA Mega (www.usamega.com) mins after the drawing takes position.
Top 25 United States lottery jackpots of all time
Tuesday’s Mega Millions jackpot recently stands because the 11th-largest lottery jackpot of all time within the United States. That place might upward thrust prior to the drawing Tuesday night time, as lotteries are generally conservative of their preliminary estimates, and brisk gross sales might push the jackpot estimate upper by way of draw time.
- Powerball: $1.5864 billion, Jan. 13, 2016 – California, Florida, Tennessee
- Powerball: $758.7 million, Aug. 23, 2017 – Massachusetts
- Mega Millions: $656 million, Mar. 30, 2012 – Illinois, Kansas, Maryland
- Mega Millions: $636 million, Dec. 17, 2013 – California, Georgia
- Powerball: $590.Five million, May 18, 2013 – Florida
- Powerball: $587.Five million, Nov. 28, 2012 – Arizona, Missouri
- Powerball: $564.1 million, Feb. 7, 2015 – North Carolina, Puerto Rico, Texas
- Powerball: $559.7 million, Jan. 6, 2018 – New Hampshire
- Mega Millions: $536 million, Jul. eight, 2016 – Indiana
- Powerball: $487 million, Jul. 30, 2016 – New Hampshire
- Mega Millions: $458 million, Mar. 27, 2018 – Preliminary estimate, now not gained but
- Powerball: $456.7 million, Mar. 17, 2018 – Pennsylvania
- Mega Millions: $451 million, Jan. Five, 2018 – Florida
- Powerball: $448.four million, Aug. 7, 2013 – Minnesota, New Jersey (2)
- Powerball: $447.eight million, Jun. 10, 2017 – California
- Powerball: $435.three million, Feb. 22, 2017 – Indiana
- Powerball: $429.6 million, May 7, 2016 – New Jersey
- Powerball: $425.three million, Feb. 19, 2014 – California
- Powerball: $420.nine million, Nov. 26, 2016 – Tennessee
- Mega Millions: $414 million, Mar. 18, 2014 – Florida, Maryland
- Powerball: $399.four million, Sep. 18, 2013 – South Carolina
- Mega Millions: $393 million, Aug. 11, 2017 – Illinois
- Mega Millions: $390 million, Mar. 6, 2007 – Georgia, New Jersey
- Mega Millions: $380 million, Jan. four, 2011 – Idaho, Washington
- Powerball: $365 million, Feb. 18, 2006 – Nebraska
For the ones holding rating, the selection of jackpots within the height 25, by way of lottery recreation, are:
- Powerball: 16
- Mega Millions: nine
Top 25 money price jackpots
Since many lottery winners gather their winnings in money, the lump-sum payout is a very powerful measure of what a successful price tag might be value.
Looking on the money price, the approaching Mega Millions jackpot ranks because the 14th-largest money price in U.S. historical past.
- Powerball: $983.Five million money, Jan. 13, 2016 ($1.5864 billion annuity) – California, Florida, Tennessee
- Powerball: $480.Five million money, Aug. 23, 2017 ($758.7 million annuity) – Massachusetts
- Mega Millions: $471 million money, Mar. 30, 2012 ($656 million annuity) – Illinois, Kansas, Maryland
- Powerball: $384.7 million money, Nov. 28, 2012 ($587.Five million annuity) – Arizona, Missouri
- Powerball: $381.1 million money, Feb. 7, 2015 ($564.1 million annuity) – North Carolina, Puerto Rico, Texas
- Mega Millions: $378 million money, Jul. eight, 2016 ($536 million annuity) – Indiana
- Powerball: $370.nine million money, May 18, 2013 ($590.Five million annuity) – Florida
- Powerball: $352 million money, Jan. 6, 2018 ($559.7 million annuity) – New Hampshire
- Mega Millions: $347.6 million money, Dec. 17, 2013 ($636 million annuity) – California, Georgia
- Powerball: $336.eight million money, Jul. 30, 2016 ($487 million annuity) – New Hampshire
- Powerball: $284 million money, May 7, 2016 ($429.6 million annuity) – New Jersey
- Mega Millions: $281.nine million money, Jan. Five, 2018 ($451 million annuity) – Florida
- Powerball: $279.1 million money, Jun. 10, 2017 ($447.eight million annuity) – California
- Mega Millions: $274 million money, Mar. 27, 2018 ($458 million annuity) – Preliminary estimate, now not gained but
- Powerball: $273.nine million money, Mar. 17, 2018 ($456.7 million annuity) – Pennsylvania
- Powerball: $263.Five million money, Feb. 22, 2017 ($435.three million annuity) – Indiana
- Powerball: $258.2 million money, Aug. 7, 2013 ($448.four million annuity) – Minnesota, New Jersey (2)
- Powerball: $254.7 million money, Nov. 26, 2016 ($420.nine million annuity) – Tennessee
- Mega Millions: $246.Five million money, Aug. 11, 2017 ($393 million annuity) – Illinois
- Mega Millions: $240 million money, Jan. four, 2011 ($380 million annuity) – Idaho, Washington
- Mega Millions: $233.1 million money, Mar. 6, 2007 ($390 million annuity) – Georgia, New Jersey
- Mega Millions: $230.nine million money, Mar. 18, 2014 ($414 million annuity) – Florida, Maryland
- Powerball: $227.eight million money, Feb. 19, 2014 ($425.three million annuity) – California
- Powerball: $224.7 million money, Aug. 15, 2012 ($337 million annuity) – Michigan
- Powerball: $223.three million money, Sep. 18, 2013 ($399.four million annuity) – South Carolina
The selection of money price jackpots within the height 25, by way of lottery recreation, are:
- Powerball: 19
- Mega Millions: nine
Lottery Post Staff
We’d love to peer your feedback right here! Register for a FREE club — it takes only some moments — and you are able to submit feedback right here and on any of our boards. If you are already a member, you’ll be able to Log In to submit a remark.