$445 MILLION: Mega Millions raises jackpot on huge sales
By Todd Northrop
A hurry of price ticket sales for the rocketing Mega Millions jackpot has induced lottery officers to revise their estimate for the Friday night time drawing to $454 million.
The all-important lump-sum money price is now estimated to be a staggering $277.6 million — propelling it to the fifth-largest money price presented by means of any lottery sport in US historical past, and only a few million from turning into the third-largest of all time.
Friday’s drawing would be the 24th since Mega Millions had a winner. The present run-up began as a $15 million jackpot on Oct. 17, 2017 — the remaining time a Mega Millions jackpot used to be established below the outdated sport regulations. It is the fourth-largest jackpot in Mega Millions historical past and the 13th-largest jackpot in U.S. lottery historical past.
With the Powerball jackpot for Saturday, Jan. 6 now at $550 million, the mixed general of the 2 jackpots is $995 million, making it the third-largest mixed general for the 2 video games.
It is the first time in historical past that two lottery video games have concurrently been more than $400 million.
Lottery gamers in quest of to test the successful numbers Friday night time are prompt to make use of USA Mega (www.usamega.com). State lottery Web websites are typically gradual or delivered to a standstill all over busy sessions, whilst USA Mega typically stays responsive.
Also, lottery gamers are prompt to obtain the unfastened Lottery Places app (to be had on iOS, Android, and Windows), which unearths the closest reliable lottery shops, both for your present location or to every other location that you simply specify. The app can to find shops proper over the border or simply across the nook.
Mega Millions drawing effects might be posted straight away after the 11:00 pm drawing at USA Mega. The collection of winners and new jackpot might be introduced in the end taking part states have reported their knowledge, which typically happens inside of a couple of hours after the drawing.
Tickets will stay on sale usually till 10:45 pm Eastern Time on Friday, even though gamers must test with a lottery store of their state for the precise sales cutoff time. (Every state is other.) Players are strongly instructed to not wait till the remaining minute.
The odds of successful the jackpot are roughly 1 in 302.Five million. The odds of successful any of the Mega Millions prizes are 1 in 24.
Mega Millions tickets value $2 each and every. For an additional $1 in line with price ticket gamers should purchase the Megaplier choice, which multiplies any non-jackpot gained by means of as much as Five occasions, relying on the Megaplier quantity drawn that night time.
The handiest state that doesn’t be offering the Megaplier is California, as a result of state legislation banning fastened lottery prize quantities isn’t appropriate with the fastened nature of the Megaplier payouts.
Many states additionally be offering a Just the Jackpot choice, which supplies two separate possibilities to win handiest the jackpot prize for $three.
Lottery gamers can see an after-tax research of the present Mega Millions jackpot by means of visiting USA Mega’s Jackpot Analysis web page.
Mega Millions options 9 other prize ranges, starting from $1 the entire means as much as the jackpot. Players can win despite the fact that they simply fit one quantity — the Mega Ball quantity.
Top 25 United States lottery jackpots of all time
Friday’s Mega Millions jackpot these days stands because the 13th-largest lottery jackpot of all time within the United States. The present Powerball jackpot could also be highlighted.
- Powerball: $1.5864 billion, Jan. 13, 2016 – California, Florida, Tennessee
- Powerball: $758.7 million, Aug. 23, 2017 – Massachusetts
- Mega Millions: $656 million, Mar. 30, 2012 – Illinois, Kansas, Maryland
- Mega Millions: $636 million, Dec. 17, 2013 – California, Georgia
- Powerball: $590.Five million, May 18, 2013 – Florida
- Powerball: $587.Five million, Nov. 28, 2012 – Arizona, Missouri
- Powerball: $564.1 million, Feb. 7, 2015 – North Carolina, Puerto Rico, Texas
- Powerball: $550 million, Jan. 6, 2018 – Initial estimate, now not gained but
- Mega Millions: $536 million, Jul. eight, 2016 – Indiana
- Powerball: $487 million, Jul. 30, 2016 – New Hampshire
- Powerball: $448.four million, Aug. 7, 2013 – Minnesota, New Jersey (2)
- Powerball: $447.eight million, Jun. 10, 2017 – California
- Mega Millions: $445 million, Jan. Five, 2018 – Initial estimate, now not gained but
- Powerball: $435.three million, Feb. 22, 2017 – Indiana
- Powerball: $429.6 million, May 7, 2016 – New Jersey
- Powerball: $425.three million, Feb. 19, 2014 – California
- Powerball: $420.nine million, Nov. 26, 2016 – Tennessee
- Mega Millions: $414 million, Mar. 18, 2014 – Florida, Maryland
- Powerball: $399.four million, Sep. 18, 2013 – South Carolina
- Mega Millions: $393 million, Aug. 11, 2017 – Illinois
- Mega Millions: $390 million, Mar. 6, 2007 – Georgia, New Jersey
- Mega Millions: $380 million, Jan. four, 2011 – Idaho, Washington
- Powerball: $365 million, Feb. 18, 2006 – Nebraska
- The Big Game: $363 million, May nine, 2000 – Illinois, Michigan
- Powerball: $340 million, Oct. 19, 2005 – Oregon
For the ones preserving rating, the collection of jackpots within the most sensible 25, by means of lottery sport, are:
- Powerball: 16
- Mega Millions: eight
- The Big Game: 1
The Big Game is the unique title of Mega Millions, from the sport’s first drawing on Sep. 6, 1996 via May 14, 2002. The title used to be modified to Mega Millions beginning with the May 17, 2002 drawing.
Top 25 money price jackpots
Since many lottery winners gather their winnings in money, the lump-sum payout is crucial measure of what a successful price ticket might be price.
Looking on the money price, the approaching Mega Millions jackpot ranks because the 13th-largest money price in U.S. historical past.
- Powerball: $983.Five million money, Jan. 13, 2016 ($1.5864 billion annuity) – California, Florida, Tennessee
- Powerball: $480.Five million money, Aug. 23, 2017 ($758.7 million annuity) – Massachusetts
- Mega Millions: $471 million money, Mar. 30, 2012 ($656 million annuity) – Illinois, Kansas, Maryland
- Powerball: $384.7 million money, Nov. 28, 2012 ($587.Five million annuity) – Arizona, Missouri
- Powerball: $381.1 million money, Feb. 7, 2015 ($564.1 million annuity) – North Carolina, Puerto Rico, Texas
- Mega Millions: $378 million money, Jul. eight, 2016 ($536 million annuity) – Indiana
- Powerball: $370.nine million money, May 18, 2013 ($590.Five million annuity) – Florida
- Powerball: $347.nine million money, Jan. 6, 2018 ($550 million annuity) – Initial estimate, now not gained but
- Mega Millions: $347.6 million money, Dec. 17, 2013 ($636 million annuity) – California, Georgia
- Powerball: $336.eight million money, Jul. 30, 2016 ($487 million annuity) – New Hampshire
- Powerball: $284 million money, May 7, 2016 ($429.6 million annuity) – New Jersey
- Powerball: $279.1 million money, Jun. 10, 2017 ($447.eight million annuity) – California
- Mega Millions: $277.6 million money, Jan. Five, 2018 ($445 million annuity) – Initial estimate, now not gained but
- Powerball: $263.Five million money, Feb. 22, 2017 ($435.three million annuity) – Indiana
- Powerball: $258.2 million money, Aug. 7, 2013 ($448.four million annuity) – Minnesota, New Jersey (2)
- Powerball: $254.7 million money, Nov. 26, 2016 ($420.nine million annuity) – Tennessee
- Mega Millions: $246.Five million money, Aug. 11, 2017 ($393 million annuity) – Illinois
- Mega Millions: $240 million money, Jan. four, 2011 ($380 million annuity) – Idaho, Washington
- Mega Millions: $233.1 million money, Mar. 6, 2007 ($390 million annuity) – Georgia, New Jersey
- Mega Millions: $230.nine million money, Mar. 18, 2014 ($414 million annuity) – Florida, Maryland
- Powerball: $227.eight million money, Feb. 19, 2014 ($425.three million annuity) – California
- Powerball: $224.7 million money, Aug. 15, 2012 ($337 million annuity) – Michigan
- Powerball: $223.three million money, Sep. 18, 2013 ($399.four million annuity) – South Carolina
- Mega Millions: $214 million money, Aug. 28, 2009 ($336 million annuity) – California, New York
- Powerball: $211 million money, Mar. 23, 2013 ($338.three million annuity) – New Jersey
The collection of money price jackpots within the most sensible 25, by means of lottery sport, are:
- Powerball: 16
- Mega Millions: nine
Lottery Post Staff
We’d love to peer your feedback right here! Register for a FREE club — it takes only a few moments — and you are able to publish feedback right here and on any of our boards. If you are already a member, you’ll Log In to publish a remark.