$502 MILLION: Mega Millions grows to 10th-largest lottery jackpot of all time
Half-billion jackpot comes 6 years after first achieving the similar degree
By Todd Northrop
Six years to the day after changing into the primary lottery in historical past to characteristic a $500 million jackpot, the multi-state Mega Millions sport is correct again on the identical degree, providing a $502 million grand prize to be drawn Friday night time.
During that nascent duration in 2012, when the phrase “billion” first entered lottery jackpot discussions, Mega Millions tickets have been being bought so briefly that the lotteries have been compelled to carry the jackpot estimate just about each and every day.
The match used to be so momentous that Lottery Post’s information article saying the momentous jackpot was the headline information tale at the Drudge Report, one of the Internet’s largest information aggregators. (See screenshot under.)
Fast-forward to as of late, and a lottery jackpot now has to develop to a minimum of $500 million sooner than it could possibly even spoil into the top-10. (See top-25 annuity and money price jackpots under.)
Despite the converting belief of what makes a large lottery jackpot, the straightforward reality is that the multi-state Mega Millions lottery sport lately boasts a swelling jackpot of greater than a half-billion greenbacks that might right away put any person a number of the wealthiest folks in the world.
It has taken 23 drawings and not using a jackpot winner to get to this level. The present jackpot run-up started Jan. nine as a $40 million prize.
Friday’s $502 million jackpot is the 4th-largest within the sport’s historical past, and the 10th-largest United States lottery jackpot of all time.
The lump-sum money price of $301 million is the 11th-largest at the all-time US lottery jackpot money price checklist.
Lottery avid gamers questioning what all the money will appear to be of their checking account after federal and state taxes are taken out can see an after-tax research of the present Mega Millions jackpot by way of visiting USA Mega’s Jackpot Analysis web page.
The rush of price ticket gross sales over the following few days most probably will propel the jackpot to a good upper quantity sooner than the drawing takes position Friday. Lottery Post and USA Mega will replace the jackpot tallies displayed if such an building up happens.
In Tuesday night time’s Mega Millions drawing, there used to be no jackpot winner, however 2 fortunate avid gamers matched the primary Five numbers for a $1,00zero,00zero prize: 1 from Illinois and 1 from New Jersey.
Unfortunately, none of the second-prize winners bought their price ticket with the Megaplier possibility for an additional $1 in line with play. If they’d, their prize would were higher to $three million, for the reason that Megaplier quantity drawn used to be three.
The Megaplier possibility isn’t to be had in California, for the reason that mounted nature of the prize building up introduced with the Megaplier isn’t suitable with California’s pari-mutuel payouts. By regulation, California awards all lottery prizes on a pari-mutuel foundation, that means the prizes will exchange each and every drawing in line with the quantity of tickets bought and the quantity of tickets that received at each and every prize degree.
Also, a complete of 42 tickets matched 4 of the primary 5 numbers plus the Mega Ball to win a $10,00zero prize. Of the ones tickets, three have been bought with the Megaplier possibility, expanding the prize to $30,00zero, and six have been bought in California, the place the prize awarded this drawing used to be $nine,zero56.
The Mega Millions successful numbers for Tuesday, March 27, 2018, have been 7, 25, 43, 56, and 59, with Mega Ball quantity 13. The Megaplier quantity used to be three.
Following the Tuesday drawing, the Mega Millions annuity jackpot estimate used to be raised $44 million from its earlier quantity of $458 million. The money price used to be raised by way of $27 million from its earlier quantity of $274 million.
Mega Millions is lately introduced on the market in 44 states, plus Washington, D.C. and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Drawings are Tuesdays and Fridays at 11:00 pm Eastern Time. Tickets price $2 each and every.
The Mega Millions successful numbers are printed at USA Mega (www.usamega.com) mins after the drawing takes position.
Top 25 United States lottery jackpots of all time
Friday’s Mega Millions jackpot lately stands because the 10th-largest lottery jackpot of all time within the United States. That place might upward thrust sooner than the drawing, as lotteries are most often conservative of their preliminary estimates, and brisk gross sales might push the jackpot estimate upper by way of draw time.
- Powerball: $1.5864 billion, Jan. 13, 2016 – California, Florida, Tennessee
- Powerball: $758.7 million, Aug. 23, 2017 – Massachusetts
- Mega Millions: $656 million, Mar. 30, 2012 – Illinois, Kansas, Maryland
- Mega Millions: $636 million, Dec. 17, 2013 – California, Georgia
- Powerball: $590.Five million, May 18, 2013 – Florida
- Powerball: $587.Five million, Nov. 28, 2012 – Arizona, Missouri
- Powerball: $564.1 million, Feb. 7, 2015 – North Carolina, Puerto Rico, Texas
- Powerball: $559.7 million, Jan. 6, 2018 – New Hampshire
- Mega Millions: $536 million, Jul. eight, 2016 – Indiana
- Mega Millions: $502 million, Mar. 30, 2018 – Preliminary estimate, no longer received but
- Powerball: $487 million, Jul. 30, 2016 – New Hampshire
- Powerball: $456.7 million, Mar. 17, 2018 – Pennsylvania
- Mega Millions: $451 million, Jan. Five, 2018 – Florida
- Powerball: $448.four million, Aug. 7, 2013 – Minnesota, New Jersey (2)
- Powerball: $447.eight million, Jun. 10, 2017 – California
- Powerball: $435.three million, Feb. 22, 2017 – Indiana
- Powerball: $429.6 million, May 7, 2016 – New Jersey
- Powerball: $425.three million, Feb. 19, 2014 – California
- Powerball: $420.nine million, Nov. 26, 2016 – Tennessee
- Mega Millions: $414 million, Mar. 18, 2014 – Florida, Maryland
- Powerball: $399.four million, Sep. 18, 2013 – South Carolina
- Mega Millions: $393 million, Aug. 11, 2017 – Illinois
- Mega Millions: $390 million, Mar. 6, 2007 – Georgia, New Jersey
- Mega Millions: $380 million, Jan. four, 2011 – Idaho, Washington
- Powerball: $365 million, Feb. 18, 2006 – Nebraska
For the ones conserving rating, the quantity of jackpots within the peak 25, by way of lottery sport, are:
- Powerball: 16
- Mega Millions: nine
Top 25 money price jackpots
Since many lottery winners acquire their winnings in money, the lump-sum payout is crucial measure of what a successful price ticket might be price.
Looking on the money price, the approaching Mega Millions jackpot ranks because the 11th-largest money price in U.S. historical past.
- Powerball: $983.Five million money, Jan. 13, 2016 ($1.5864 billion annuity) – California, Florida, Tennessee
- Powerball: $480.Five million money, Aug. 23, 2017 ($758.7 million annuity) – Massachusetts
- Mega Millions: $471 million money, Mar. 30, 2012 ($656 million annuity) – Illinois, Kansas, Maryland
- Powerball: $384.7 million money, Nov. 28, 2012 ($587.Five million annuity) – Arizona, Missouri
- Powerball: $381.1 million money, Feb. 7, 2015 ($564.1 million annuity) – North Carolina, Puerto Rico, Texas
- Mega Millions: $378 million money, Jul. eight, 2016 ($536 million annuity) – Indiana
- Powerball: $370.nine million money, May 18, 2013 ($590.Five million annuity) – Florida
- Powerball: $352 million money, Jan. 6, 2018 ($559.7 million annuity) – New Hampshire
- Mega Millions: $347.6 million money, Dec. 17, 2013 ($636 million annuity) – California, Georgia
- Powerball: $336.eight million money, Jul. 30, 2016 ($487 million annuity) – New Hampshire
- Mega Millions: $301 million money, Mar. 30, 2018 ($502 million annuity) – Preliminary estimate, no longer received but
- Powerball: $284 million money, May 7, 2016 ($429.6 million annuity) – New Jersey
- Mega Millions: $281.nine million money, Jan. Five, 2018 ($451 million annuity) – Florida
- Powerball: $279.1 million money, Jun. 10, 2017 ($447.eight million annuity) – California
- Powerball: $273.nine million money, Mar. 17, 2018 ($456.7 million annuity) – Pennsylvania
- Powerball: $263.Five million money, Feb. 22, 2017 ($435.three million annuity) – Indiana
- Powerball: $258.2 million money, Aug. 7, 2013 ($448.four million annuity) – Minnesota, New Jersey (2)
- Powerball: $254.7 million money, Nov. 26, 2016 ($420.nine million annuity) – Tennessee
- Mega Millions: $246.Five million money, Aug. 11, 2017 ($393 million annuity) – Illinois
- Mega Millions: $240 million money, Jan. four, 2011 ($380 million annuity) – Idaho, Washington
- Mega Millions: $233.1 million money, Mar. 6, 2007 ($390 million annuity) – Georgia, New Jersey
- Mega Millions: $230.nine million money, Mar. 18, 2014 ($414 million annuity) – Florida, Maryland
- Powerball: $227.eight million money, Feb. 19, 2014 ($425.three million annuity) – California
- Powerball: $224.7 million money, Aug. 15, 2012 ($337 million annuity) – Michigan
- Powerball: $223.three million money, Sep. 18, 2013 ($399.four million annuity) – South Carolina
The quantity of money price jackpots within the peak 25, by way of lottery sport, are:
- Powerball: 16
- Mega Millions: nine
(Click to show full-size in gallery)
Lottery Post Staff
We’d love to see your feedback right here! Register for a FREE club — it takes only some moments — and you can be in a position to publish feedback right here and on any of our boards. If you might be already a member, you’ll Log In to publish a remark.